PDA

View Full Version : radiator/overflow help

guggi102
09-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Ok I have a problem with my R dumping coolant. I have no overflow on the bike, bought it like that and at first it was not a problem. Then after time a little bit would come out of the overflow and now on start up it just basically drains the radiator. Any help? Does anyone else not run an overflow? I am looking for one hoping this will help my problem. How does the bottle hook up? The line from the top of the radiator goes to the top of the overflow bottle or the bottom? Does any company make an aftermarket bottle? Thanks for any help and if anyone has a bottle or maybe a used PWR radiator or something I may be interested.

jon370r
09-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Most likely you have a head gasket leak pushing cylinder pressure into the water jackets causing pressure in the radiator.

guggi102
09-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Do I need to run an overflow bottle?

Aceman
09-23-2007, 09:11 AM
No.

You most likely have a head gasket leak, an overflow bottle won't fix that.

guggi102
09-23-2007, 05:49 PM
I realize a bottle wont fix the head gasket I was asking if I need to have one in general, as stated in the original post. thanks

86250rrider
09-23-2007, 07:28 PM
NO........YOU DO NOT NEED A OVERFLOW BOTTLE !!!!!!!
YES ....YOUR HEAD GASKET IS YOUR PROBLEM!!!!!!!!
i dont run one on mine...i just route the hose thru my bark busters so it sprays on my arm if it overflows coolant.that way you know whats up cause you cant see the bottle while your riding!!:macho

guggi102
09-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Thank you for 2 sarcastic answers from one simple yes no question. Guess I wont be looking for too much more help

86 Quad R
09-24-2007, 09:35 AM
its always good to have the overflow bottle in the event that if/when the system does(for normal reasons) happen to allow coolant to excape the rad. will allow it to draw it back in upon cooling.

typically your weekend rider doesnt have the overflow bottle on there and may elect to route the hose to the pipe so the coolant can be smelt or the steam can be seen. however, for a racer. i'd suggest running one due to the fact that the rider/bike is run continuously for longer and distracted periods on time.

:cool:

.... and i'd say that your over flow problem may be head gasket related. :devil:

guggi102
09-24-2007, 09:49 AM
86 quad r- thanks for the detailed response exactly what I was looking for!

C-LEIGH RACING
09-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Some race events require a catch bottle to be on the bike just in case of an overflow.
Neil