PDA

View Full Version : New Mod Suggestion!?!?!

kfxracer
09-22-2007, 07:53 PM
I have an "05 KFX 400 with HMF Slip-on, Uni filter, and no lid or snorkel. I have $400 to spend, and was wondering what you guys suggest. I ride a lot of different terrains ranging from loose sand, to fields, to blacktop, to rough trails. I know I need new back tires, so that'll take a chunk of money out. I want something that'll last a long time. What tires do you guys reccomend? Also looking for a 'lil more power, thinking of a powerbomb head pipe and Dynatek CDI (non-programmable). What do you guys think? Any suggestions/different parts? Also, open to any free mods that have been proven to work without harming my quad. Also, any ways to keep mud/chunks of debris out of my air box, but still flow great!Thanks!!!

cataway
09-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by kfxracer
I have an "05 KFX 400 with HMF Slip-on, Uni filter, and no lid or snorkel. I have $400 to spend, and was wondering what you guys suggest. I ride a lot of different terrains ranging from loose sand, to fields, to blacktop, to rough trails. I know I need new back tires, so that'll take a chunk of money out. I want something that'll last a long time. What tires do you guys reccomend? Also looking for a 'lil more power, thinking of a powerbomb head pipe and Dynatek CDI (non-programmable). What do you guys think? Any suggestions/different parts? Also, open to any free mods that have been proven to work without harming my quad. Also, any ways to keep mud/chunks of debris out of my air box, but still flow great!Thanks!!!
your stock header is not doing you any favor's.
dynatek will improve you power curve ,enough so that you will feel it. change you intake boot will help ,maybe even give you 2 hp , the 400ex boot works with a little modding to the boot , the 450r boot works even better but you will have to mod your air box .

kfxracer
09-22-2007, 08:29 PM
do you have any links for the snorkel mod? Thanks for the tips!

jonboy
09-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Kenda Knarly klaws are a very great versatile tire. I use them and love them. They are only about $50 a tire. Get the HMF head pipe about $130-$160 depending on where you get it. Definately get a dynatech cdi

kfxracer
09-22-2007, 10:27 PM
ok thanks! Where can I get one for that price? Will Ihave have to mod my slip-on, or will it just clamp on?

cataway
09-23-2007, 03:47 AM
do you have any links for the snorkel mod? Thanks for the tips!
snorkel mod or the boot mod ?
the snorkel mod is just a mater of pulling the snorkel off and putting it on a shelf some were.
i know of some that have done that instead of removing the air box lid,it helps but that hole is just to small to let in the kind of air thats needed to allow the engine to breathe the way it wants to.
the boot mod it is all most as simple as removing your stock boot
and replacing it with one from a trx400ex ,it does have to be shorten ,exactly how much to make it fit your box..... i dont know .
i removed the air box when i installed mine ,so the length of the boot did not matter.
this link will show you some thing of what i went though and were i'm at now
http://www.z400central.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=72448&hl=

kfxracer
09-23-2007, 07:54 AM
My bad! I meant the air boot mod. Thanks for the info! How does it work? Will I need to rejet? Where can I get a 400ex air boot?

cataway
09-23-2007, 11:02 AM
My bad! I meant the air boot mod. Thanks for the info! How does it work? Will I need to rejet? Where can I get a 400ex air boot?
it actually works quite well ,i could feel the difference right from the getgo. the boot its self is rather inexpensive ,some thing like $18.oo+ what ever shipping there is ,compared to what you'll pay for an FCR ,ESR or even K&N intake which is over $100. its like stealing it.
the filter has a lot to do with it as well ,big ones with lots of surface area are the best.
as far as jetting ,i dont know were you are at now but i would say yes .
as far as were to get one ,any honda stealership can get one ,
i have even seen them on ebay .
one of the mail order places that i deal with is
http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/3/ArcticCat.aspx
there are of corse others its just one i know about .
personally i like the trx450r boot better ,its alittle more money for the boot and only a dyno is going to tell what the difference is between the two ,what i do like, was it was so much easier to reattach the air box to act as a splash guard .

kfxracer
09-23-2007, 11:09 AM
ok thanks!!!

quad97
09-25-2007, 04:25 PM
a set of cams would really help it out.

yernkie
09-28-2007, 11:13 PM
For the airbox cover look into OuterWears. They make a cover that velcros over the airbox and helps keep out water and mud.

As for the mods...junk the snorkel, do the boot mod, and throw in a set of Stage 1 HotCams. It will feel like a whole new bike.

KAWIRYDER
09-29-2007, 10:33 AM
The maxxis razr II are an excellent tire for trails and woods riding.They have great hook up and they slide the corners pretty descent. They run about 75.00 per tire. They actually have a pretty tall tread for a little more clearance. The tires are a six ply.

kfxracer
09-29-2007, 01:34 PM
ok thanks!!!