PDA

View Full Version : Piggyback Ohlins v.s. Works triple rates w/ rezzies

canadian400ex
11-01-2002, 09:43 AM
If these were the only 2 sets of front shocks you could have....what would you choose??..and why?
(They would be used for mx)

Extremeracer167
11-01-2002, 09:46 AM
i woul dprob. choose stock!! LOL jk! Ide prob. go with works, they actually arent a bad shock when it comes to jumping, but if u were riding in the woods, ide go with ohlins, they seem to be a bit softer.

forum
11-01-2002, 09:52 AM
WHy are you only chosing betewn these two brands?? is it because you can get them cheap ? or are you just new to this??? Betewn the two I would definately say Ohlins are a much better shock! Forsure!. Have you thought of ELKA?? You are obviously Canadian. Call elka(Canadian company based in quebec) And tell them your a Serious Canadian Racer. they will give you atleat 10% off. Elka is one of the best shocks, on par with Axis and PEP. They will help you out and tell you what you need for the type of riding you do and the money you want to spend. ALso they will be at your door in 2 weeks or less. go to www.elkasuspension.com to find there phone number.

forum
11-01-2002, 09:55 AM
sorry didn't read your post thorougly.

ohlins are built of higher quility materials and are known to be a good quiltiy shock, although they don't have ZPS system but either does WOrks. Works are well known to be the lowest quility after market performance shock. Im not including replacement shocks like progressive.

beerock
11-01-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by forum
sorry didn't read your post thorougly.

ohlins are built of higher quility materials and are known to be a good quiltiy shock, although they don't have ZPS system but either does WOrks. Works are well known to be the lowest quility after market performance shock. Im not including replacement shocks like progressive.
works does make a zps type shock.
its called the stadium series....

11-01-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by beerock

works does make a zps type shock.
its called the stadium series....

Or you could have the quadshop hook ya up with a SSD spring..and possible revalve..

400exBro
11-01-2002, 04:18 PM
go with elka, you will be happy, i have works and am happy for what i paid, i will post a pic when you over shoot a 30 foot double and flat land with works, depands on how hard you ride your machine, i would say elka becuase you don't have to pay boarder crossing and stuff, so it is up to you.

sorry about the equpiment, it was freezing *** cold, and did feel like putting on my stuff.
you can barley see the laning in the pic, but is near the left hand side.
good luck

Bro

canadian400ex
11-01-2002, 04:36 PM
Thanks...I actually posted this for a friend with an 02' 400ex. Money is kind of a variable in his decision. He doesn't mind spending the money, but wants to make sure the higher-end shocks are worth the extra $$$$.
I am also in the midst of choosing suspension. SEE, I (we) kind of want to buy from our local shop, but they can only get their hands on Ohlins. We could get a really good deal on these shocks, but if you don't think they are much better than stock than I wont be getting them. Any more info on these shocks? Thanks

OCCRA288
11-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Ohlins are
1> Not built for the individual Rider ( general spring rate and valving)
2> Not compression adjustable to my knowledge ( neither is the bottom line works though)
3> Ugly (need I say more)
4> Can the name actually be pronounced correctly?

I have works and I may be sending them to the Quadshop for a little SSD treatment. Look at Elka seriously. I wish I wouldv'e bought them. But I race Pro locally and mostlikely B class in the GNCC's next season