PDA

View Full Version : 300ex idling too high

300ex willy
09-22-2007, 05:58 PM
I have a 2002 300ex that I decided to buy an exhaust and jet kit for and after I intalled it all, I started it up and its idling at far too high of an rpm and is very loud. It could be that i didnt tightem down the header flange enough and it is just too loud and around the area of where the header bends it turned a cherry red color and the engine began to throw some smoke in that genral vicinity. It could be that when i was adjusting the jets on the carburator, I leaked some gas on the engine but i didnt want to do any damage to the engine by running it to find out. As the exhaust is very new, this may be normal and im sort of an amateur atv mechanic so I immediately came here looking for some expert advice. Any helpful tips/ideas are greatly appreciated because I know if I take it to the dealer they will charge me 350-400 dollars plus everything else they told me has to be replaced and seeing as ive already dropped 500+ dollars on these parts I also want to gain some atv experience on my own. Thanks guys!

AtvMxRider
09-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Sounds like you have the throttle cable routed wrong.

300ex willy
09-22-2007, 06:15 PM
mmmmmm and how would i fix that. I was also reading an article about jetting that lead me to think it was running lean because when the quad it does run it back fires and I think the smoke was the engine over heating so what do you guys think?

300ex willy
09-22-2007, 07:33 PM
I think I know all the solutions to these problems, well for the general loud noise the header flange wasnt all the way bolted down and the smoke was the engine over heating due to lean idle and the smoke coming out of the rear of the muffler was the first of the new packing burning off and the high rev idle has something to do with the throttle, and I think that the reddish header is due to the overheating of a lean fuel screw. Any corrections or tips are greatly appreciated, Thanks guys!

300ex willy
09-22-2007, 08:00 PM
It may also be possible that when i was changing jets on the carburator, alot of fuel fell out and im pretty sure some probably spilled out onto the header because after 1-2 mins of riding, the smoking stopped/calmed down but I had to turn the quad off because of the exhaust pipe turning bright red.

300ex willy
09-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Well I found the problems! I think, well the over idle rev was partially the fuel screw and the throttle cable was wound up in the carburater and the red pipe was due to a lean fuel mixture which I fixed by moving the needle up one slot and the smoke was some wd-40/spilled fuel burning off the header and the smoke coming out of the silencer was some of the packing burning off as I said before, well thanks guys! P.S. keep on looking on this thread incase some of this stuff doesnt work.