PDA

View Full Version : Alignment help

motochris
11-01-2002, 04:30 AM
How do you do a front end alignment on your quad??? Just wanting to know how or what you do... Do any of you have home built tools to help you out .... Thanks for the help........

DReese
11-01-2002, 05:04 AM
Here is how I align my Honda.
I use a long straight bar, aluminum pole, what ever you have and two jack stands to hold the bar at mid level to the tires.
Some people just measure between the tires front and rear always using the same spot to get the measurements, I didn't find this to be very easy or very accurate. Get the handle bars as straight as possible, set the jack stands between the wheels front to rear and put the straight edge on them.
Move the straight edge parallel up against the rear tires. This is your reference point, measure from the straight edge to a common point on the front and rear of the front tire, always use the same point such as the edge of the rim. Without moving the handle bars move everything to the other side and measure again. The difference in measurement from the front of the tire to the rear of the tire is toe in, toe out, the total toe in generally is about 1/16 / 1/8 inch.
If one side has a greater difference from front to rear that will be the side that is bent, loosen the tie rod and adjust this side it doesn't take much to make a big change. Keep swapping from side to side with the straight edge to make sure the good side is not moving.
If the toe in is much more than 1/8 the steering will be very tight and QUICK and will bump steer through rough stuff steering in the direction of any bump that is hit. If toe in is straight to toed out the steering will loose and slow and tend to wonder all over the place.

motochris
11-01-2002, 01:47 PM
WoW, Well i'll be checking it out...Doesnt sound to hard at all....Thanks alot......

Chris/motochris

motochris
11-04-2002, 01:40 PM
bump

Braff1
11-04-2002, 03:47 PM
I pretty much align my front end like DREESE said except 1) I use my trailer straps to secure the handle bars so that they are centered and will not move. 2) I use a heavy nylon string to run along the side of the quad and just measure the same way listed by DREESE. This way I can carry it in my tool box and if anyone bends a tie rod we can try to straighten it out and realign the front and ride on.

Dan

bash3r
05-02-2007, 10:56 PM
What is it when both front tires "seem" to be off the same amount from the handlebars? Is this a steering stem bent or both tierods need adjusting?

If my bars are straight, both wheels are pointing a bit to the right, and I'm not sure how to tell if the stem has twisted?

Thanks for the help!