PDA

View Full Version : how much sag before shock rebuild?

ryanh250ex
10-31-2002, 09:03 PM
after 31 hours of riding, my 250EX is starting to sag a bit, specificaly the rear shock. so far i have about a 1/2 inch of sag (sag meaning how much higher you can lift the quad up by the grab bar without the wheels touching the ground). as far as i know, these shocks are rebuildable. how much sag is enough to send it to the shop and have them rebuilt? the manual says to check it at 100 hours, i think i'll reach their quota for suspension in about half that time.....

ESR250R
10-31-2002, 09:22 PM
with my elka on the back of my 250r i have about 4 inches of sag. it doesnt mean it needs anything done to it. it just means its settling in.

phatswinn
11-01-2002, 08:56 AM
my stocker sags about 3 inches dont worry bout it

Extremeracer167
11-01-2002, 08:57 AM
well the elkas are meant to have sag. They are high perofrmance shocks. And no i dont htink your shock is rebuildable, well thats if its the same as the 250X or the 300EX. I think u have to buy new ones. and 1/2 inch of sag isnt that much. Im running 6 inches of sag with my axis, lol. But i think when it is time for a rebuild u are gonna have to geta new shock.

forum
11-01-2002, 10:03 AM
the fronts are not rebuildable. the rear might be. but i doubt it. Maybe its time to trade in the 250ex for somehting else???

ryanh250ex
11-01-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by forum
the fronts are not rebuildable. the rear might be. but i doubt it. Maybe its time to trade in the 250ex for somehting else???

yeah, i'm thinking that might be the case. i've owned it for almost a year and it's been a great quad, but unfortunately i'm the slowest in my typical group of quad riders (stock scrambler, piped and jetted DS650, 260 Blasturd) so i might consider trading it in for a 400. the problem is, while i have a sluggish 250ex, the thing that keeps me from selling it and gettin a new or used 400 is that i love the low-maintenance aspect of the 250. it's a shaft (no chain lube or replacing sprockets or chains, just a gear oil change every 100 hours), and it has sealed bearings (i.e. no zerks to grease, period). basically the only things i have to do is clean the air filter, add or change the motor oil, and clean it when it's dirty. i dont know squat about taking care of a 400ex. i dont know how to use a clutch or anything like that. i dont want to approach my dad about trading in the 250, either. he'd probably flip, considering i've owned the quad for just under a year. the only real reason why i would want a 400 is because of the better suspension (the 250 has a REAL harsh ride, especially when you're hitting bump after bump at 30 + mph) and obviously the better power.while i'm the fastest on the trails, i get burnt up by bigger machines that no 250ex owner could keep up with on the track. chances are i'll keep the 250ex for a while, just because it's just so much fun to fling around on the trails and for the low-maintenance.

optikid123
11-01-2002, 04:18 PM
i had a 200sxfor about 4 years i was ready for a 400 after 1 year but the longer you wait the better the 400 feels but i had the same problem