PDA

View Full Version : Pellet stoves

wvspeedfreak
09-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Who here has uses a pellet stove to heat their house?I am thinking about getting one and want some input (pros and cons) from people that have them.

Pappy
09-21-2007, 06:07 PM
I have two Jason, one downstairs and one in the garage. IMO, more efficient then my woodstove and heat about the same....maybe a touch safer as well.

If you do get one, get one that will allow you to burn corn as well.

honda8&3
09-21-2007, 06:54 PM
I got one. We have a good size 2 story home in Mass. It heats all right, but compared to wood it ain't even close. If you have a small ranch or even raised ranch its great. We burn 3-4 ton of pellets a year.:ermm: It costs us about 225 a ton if you buy them early. I would take wood over it anyday though for our house. Now we are putting on an addition with a 2 flew chimney. We bought tree length for 300 bucks for a half a load. We are prolly getting about 4 cord out of it. It is a lot of work but me and my dad love tree work and with a splitter and a good quality chain saw the work goes by fast. It depends on the size of your house LOL.;)

Heres a picture from the back of my house
PS: This is where our addition is going.;)

honda8&3
09-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Here is our load of tree length:)
PS: The guy in the orange is my dad's friend;)

wvspeedfreak
09-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I have two Jason, one downstairs and one in the garage. IMO, more efficient then my woodstove and heat about the same....maybe a touch safer as well.

If you do get one, get one that will allow you to burn corn as well.

I saw some last weekend that said "dual fuel" on them and assumed they would burn corn as well as pellets.We are going to look at some more stoves tomorrow.Not many people around here have them...mostly wood stoves.We had a wood stove for years but with both of us working all the time we want something that will keep heating while we are away during the day.Also I like the idea of being able to regulate the heat better with a pellet stove vs. a wood stove.

Pappy
09-21-2007, 08:20 PM
with the size of your house, and if you can kep the woodstove (power outages etc) i think you'll have no problems with a pellet stove. we use ours and save the wood for really cold or no power in storms(10 days with no heat in sub zero is cold and we never had a single problem)

corn right now is expensive, and doesnt look to come down soon but it will and that will leave you with an option

ZeroLogic
09-21-2007, 08:58 PM
We got one. I love it. She works well too.