PDA

View Full Version : Need help on picking a dune trip

yernkie
09-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Some buddies and I have been throwing aroudn the idea of taking a roadtrip to some other dunes late next year. We got to Little Sahara (Okalahoma) 4 or 5 times a year, and we love it, but we are looking for something a little different...a little bigger. We were thinking either Imperial dunes or St Anthonys. Both are around 1200 to 1400 miles away, so we want to make sure that we make the right choice. Anyone on here been to both? Which one do you prefer? We need someplace with decent camping (like access to showers, toilets, etc) because our wives are going as well.

Dune Surfer
09-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Sounds like fun. I live a couple of hours from Glamis (Imperial sand dunes) and I have also been to St Anthony's. Both are worth the trip. While St A's is good, I would suggest Glamis. The riding area is huge and there is more to see and do. Weather is a factor. Glamis is fall-winter-early spring. St A's is spring-summer fall.
Come to Glamis and ride with a local, you will have a blast. There is no other place like Glamis. I have to warn you though, you WILL want to move!

yernkie
09-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Are there any nice camping areas near Glamis? Or any motels near the dunes?

250r4life
09-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by yernkie
Are there any nice camping areas near Glamis? Or any motels near the dunes?

no... the closest motels to glamis are quite a ways away... probably 45 minutes or so...

if you go to gordons well (also part of the imperial sand dunes) you can stay in yuma like 25 minutes away...

theyre are porter potties at glamis, and you can go and pay to take a shower at the store...

GPracer2500
09-20-2007, 06:38 PM
One option is to rent a trailer from Luv To Camp (http://www.luv2camp.com/). We rented one once. The experience was fine. They haul it out to were you want and you just lock it up when you leave.

Dune Surfer
09-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
One option is to rent a trailer from Luv To Camp (http://www.luv2camp.com/). We rented one once. The experience was fine. They haul it out to were you want and you just lock it up when you leave.

Thats a good option. although I tent camped for years. You have to bring everything you need, water ect. It eould be worth it to rent something.
Let me know if I can be of any help. You should check out Glamisdunes.com They have a couple fo camping spots they camp at, one is right behind the glamis store which has food, resterant,bar and showers. Nice people, happy to take you for a ride. I've camped with them and they made my right at home.

cbrooks118
09-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Yrenkie, i am in the same boat as you. My friends and I are planning to go to Glamis probably next fall. Let me know how bad the drive sucks, as we will be leaving from Amarillo TX. Gas will be a pain the arse.

yernkie
09-21-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm not too worried about the drive because I love roadtrips and I can drive for hours on end. Besides, I'll have to stop about every 4 hours for gas, so that will give us time to stretch our legs. I have talked with other's from this area that have made the trip, and they say if you only stop for gas you can make it in 24 hours or so. Gas is going to suck, cause my truck (Chevy 1500HD crew cab with a 6.0) gets only 10mpg pulling a loaded down 20ft flatbed with 5 quads. This trip I will be pulling a 22 ft Vnose enclosed, so I'm sure mileage will be a lot worse. Oh well, gotta pay to play. Besdies, you only live once.