PDA

View Full Version : Problem in water

higdageese44
09-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Alright heres the problem, the quad runs great, but after running through some standing water, nothing huge or anything that you wouldnt encounter on a normal ride, the quad instantly bogs down and seems like it sparks for a few seconds further but then nothing you can kick and kick, but it wont start. I let it sit for 5-10 minutes step on it and kick and it starts right up, but wont seem to rev up past half throttle. Any ideas on the problem or culprit, I'm sure its a electric thing, just don't have an idea where to start looking. Thanks

86 Quad R
09-20-2007, 03:22 PM
what condition is the coil wire and plug boot in?
are all the joints in the pipe sealed up good?
how is your airbox setup? open lid or closed?
what sort of shape is the harness in?
are the connections in the harness corrosion free and water proofed?
is the stator cover water tight and have ya removed it to see if water is inside?

higdageese44
09-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Coil wire never checked, plug boot-brand new, joints in pipe are sealed I would assume, no oil leaks, airbox lid is on but drilled I checked it, its dry after running through the water, harness-havent checked, stator cover is on tight, but removed and found the inside of the cover moist with water.

atvmxr
09-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by higdageese44
Alright heres the problem, the quad runs great, but after running through some standing water, nothing huge or anything that you wouldnt encounter on a normal ride,

I creep through water and try not to make it splash when on the trails for a normal ride... :cool: but anyway, have you ran it more than once and how did you ride it. you could have sucked some water through the air filter into the carb bowl, but that wouldnt take too long to clean out and start running better.. could try opening the carb drain bolt to drain fuel, and remove spark plug. Pull the plug out of the boot so it wont make a spark. turn the fuel off. then kick the motor a bunch to try to futher clear any water out.

If it wont eventually run right, its probably an electrical problem. sounds like the coil. do you have a manual and a multimeter?

higdageese44
09-20-2007, 04:53 PM
I have a multimeter, but no manual

86250rrider
09-20-2007, 05:45 PM
i just had the EXACT same problem this summer. the stator is sealed but water is running down the grommet where the wires go through. im almost positive its the problem!!!!!!! seal up the rubber grommet with silicone and squirt it in the sheath just above the case. now i can go through puddles again. :macho

Aceman
09-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by 86250rrider
i just had the EXACT same problem this summer. the stator is sealed but water is running down the grommet where the wires go through. im almost positive its the problem!!!!!!! seal up the rubber grommet with silicone and squirt it in the sheath just above the case. now i can go through puddles again. :macho

I agree. I would bet money it's probably the grommet that isn't sealing. I smear high temp silicone around it before installing.

Rich250RRacer
09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by higdageese44
Coil wire never checked, plug boot-brand new, joints in pipe are sealed I would assume, no oil leaks, airbox lid is on but drilled I checked it, its dry after running through the water, harness-havent checked, stator cover is on tight, but removed and found the inside of the cover moist with water.

Take some dielectric or silicone grease an smear it on the top of the plug and inside the plug boot and run it through the water. I'll bet it won't do it again. This was always an issue for me when running XC, especially with an NGK plug boot, and the grease solved the problem. Whenever I run NGK plug boots, I dip them in Plasti-Dip (the stuff used to coat tool handles) to about a half inch up the coil wire. Just make sure you have something in the plug hole on the boot that can be removed easily. I usually find a bolt that fits tight in the rubber, then slice around the bolt with a razor blade after the coating sets up.

GOTFEAR
09-21-2007, 09:45 PM
your stater is getting wet take your side cover off and make sure theirs no hols in the bottom of the cover and replace the gasket or us yamabond