PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler fan?

250Renvy
09-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Has anybody ever tried to install an oil cooler fan?

I have a rancher 400 that has an oil cooler and fan up front with some plastic shrouds to direct air and I'm wondering if the 400ex wire harness could be fitted with the fan and/or oil cooler setup from the
Rancher?

AJG400
09-20-2007, 12:14 PM
i plan to put a larger oil cooler and electric fan on my 440 not sure what kind of fan i'm gonna use yet but i plan to just wire it to a toggle switch

cmaxx
09-21-2007, 07:29 AM
if you guys have the headlight switch with no light you might be abul to hook the fans to the haedlight wires and switch.

AJG400
09-21-2007, 04:36 PM
i thought about that even tho i still have headlights but in the winter i might not want it on all the time

xryderx
09-22-2007, 05:58 AM
Gsx1100 oil cooler works well! Many articles on it, just goggle. They sat it drops the oil temp alot. Which means longer engine life. There is also a dip stick that reads oil tempature that can be found at xr's only web site.

I am personally going to weld a bung on my oil tank and use a mechanical oil temp gauge mounted up top where I can see it easily.

Using a fan would be good, but you would have to make it switchable. Only because of the charging system, if you left it run too long you could run into trouble, especially if your battery isn't in tip top shape and you are running an aftermarket ignition you could end up not having enough voltage to fire the ignition box after running a fan for too long. That would suck if you were a long way from home!