PDA

View Full Version : Lt-80...drr....apex

Buckshot-78
09-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Ive got a big decision to make this winter , Ill give you guys an overview then tell me what you think . My daughter has just started racing MX here in WV. We a purchased a LT-80 with 105 kit motor, racing carb , DG exhaust , clutch mod , !8" rear tires , Extended arms , Wide axle + 3"spacers all around and stock suspension. Now my question is me being new to all this , am I going to be better off freshening up the LT and putting some suspension under it or go the route of DRR or Apex. Naturally Im after reliabilty, cost effciency , and broad band performance options . SUGGESTIONS WELCOME>>THANKS

forgiven
09-19-2007, 10:27 AM
JMTC but...if you don't have a quad I say you would be dumb not to start with a DRR. You however have a powerplant etc. and if you were looking to go long travel you would have to ditch the DRR A arms and swingarms anyway so I would just get a long travel setup for what you have.

The downside to the LT is that parts are always an issue around these parts.

However if you think the stock suspension on the DRR is going to be satisfactory...the I would sell the LT (part out or whatever) and get the DRR. To me the big question is whether you are going to go long travel or not.

Hope that helps.

tireman43
09-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I'd like to start with a question first...what class are you riding in?? I know in most district and national races that would be illegal in the production class with the 105cc motor. To translate what I'm saying is, if you want to go more places and race more it would be in a mod class and thats not a great starter class. If your looking for a great quad to start racing more with then I recommend the DRR and spend some cash on shocks and motor/clutching to get you competative. The Apex is great out of the box but the DRR is about $1,000 cheaper to start and that money can go into porting and such and get you faster than an Apex. Go liquid cooled with what ever you do. Good luck with the decision. Kevin

bulldogfallon
09-19-2007, 11:09 AM
The "new" liquid cooled DRX90s are just as fast or faster than the Apex...

The new 90s we have are fast...STOCK....Our stock unit came in 2nd place in the Apex class...only beat by a Apex 100.

Then it got protested since the rider was on an Apex the first moto, but it broke. The Apex dad had this kids points taken away...While it was within the rules to protest the DRR, but come on already.....why punish the kid for whooping up on the rest of the Apex quads on a BONE STOCK DRR!!

No more inferior performance...no more excuses....the new DRRs are fast and have been holding up really well....

bulldogfallon
09-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Determining the class you will be running along with the rules of the tracks you will be running at will also help determine what is best for your child.

The most common minis that show up are DRR and Apex quads.

Apex seemed to been a roll towards the begining of the year, but DRR has really stepped up the performance and features of their quads...but the thing that really makes the difference is how DRR stands behind their product....if there is a problem they own up to it and work on a fix....They don't say "it is a race quad that is your problem".....

The DRX90 is a great platform to work with and with an upgrade to Elka suspension (Long travel is not neccessary for a new rider) you will have a great quad to race and to be able to compete with.

We don't see KFX minis too often now that DRR and Apex have stepped up the bar....

Do your homework on the classes and rules of the track you will be riding at.....great quad w/o a class to run it won't do you any good....Each track has it's own set of rule.....which can be frustrating....

I would day to sell the KFX(or use it as a practice quad) and get either the DRR or Apex.

Buckshot-78
09-19-2007, 11:52 AM
I have been running her in the ATV (80) class at 1 track and senior youth Age 8-12 at 2 others Ive yet to see a quad speced in 13 races this year.

ikuzus450
09-21-2007, 08:44 PM
my son had a lt 80 and i made the decision to go with the DRR 90 instead of putting alot of money in his lt 80 and i am so pleased the DRR is awesome. not only is the bike awesome the people behind the bikes are better. ps my mother lives in hinton, wv. i will be coming up there for thanksgiving any tracks near there. thanks and good luck.