PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Carrier

GTRider256
09-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Does anybody know how to change the bearings in the carrier

Rip_Tear
09-18-2007, 07:11 PM
just had to do the ones on my 250R, they are pretty much the same (I've done the 400ex too)...

The way I do it is like this...

I break the seal on one of the bearings, so you can see the ball bearings and linkage holding them together. Then I break that linkage and tear it out so the ball bearings are loose, then pop the balls out so you can press the bearing out from the other side.

Then you can just pull the balls back in the first bearing, space them out a bit and press it out.

If you don't have a press you can use a drift and a hammer. *A drift can be any thing you want(screw driver, steel rod, etc).

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm not good at explaining stuff, but I found this way so easy.

86 Quad R
09-19-2007, 11:48 AM
its quite simple really.

if ya dont have a manual, get one.

1st remove the rear carrier as per manuals instructions and then remove all seals and o-rings from the unit.

secondly take and heat up one end of the carrier with a propane torch(do not heat up the bearing itself. only the carrier)

with the carrier stood on its end(heated side down) use a "drift tool" and hammer to knock out the bearing.

repeat this step for oppesite end.

when installing new bearings. repeat the heat process and knock the first new bearing in until completely seated. then install the inner sleeve and heat up the other end. then install the last bearing.

finished things up by installing the seals.

re-assemble the carrier/axle as per manuals instructions.

TIP: if ya take and freeze the new bearings prior to installation. they will simply drop into the carrier after heating it up.

exsweetie66
09-22-2007, 08:48 AM
its a lot easier than it looks or seems, we wipped mine out in no time.

dariusld
09-22-2007, 10:06 AM
I used the stove method.