PDA

View Full Version : cthomps07 hot cam installation

pro-rider46
09-18-2007, 05:09 PM
hey cthomps07 i tried to see what you posted but the site did not display the post, so i tried to help. check out this link, the precedure is the same as inside the motor.

http://www.hotcamsinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cMedia.viewInstallationVideo&videoid=1

cthomps07
09-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Yeah not sure why thats been happening lately... Anyway thanks for the link. I was just wondering if I needed a degree wheel or not.

pro-rider46
09-19-2007, 05:53 PM
no you shouldnt need to degree it, unless you plan on putting on a new ajustable cam sprocket, jsut make sure you keep your cam chain tightly zip tied to the sprockey, to keep your timing on, and you will be good.

cthomps07
09-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah thats what I figured its basically just a bolt it on and go type of deal from what I saw. Any idea about a break in with it? I am not sure how to go about breaking in my quad with the new mods. Does it even need it?

pro-rider46
09-19-2007, 06:08 PM
yeah break in is a half hour with full petroleom oil. and just keep it above 3000 rpm, and not any higher then 7000 rpm. then change the oil and filter, then go out and beat on it, and that recomended by hotcams. make sure you check your valves!!! thats extremely important.

cthomps07
09-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah I just checked them and saw they were out of spec so I will wait until I get this in and adjust them and do the whole thing at once. Then comes the jetting process and Im done. I am hoping I will be real close with the HRC jet kit. I have heard I might need to go up in main size but we will see according to Rossier the HRC should be perfect.

pro-rider46
09-19-2007, 06:16 PM
so are you addind a rossier and the cam.? the hrc kits jetting will be good for that. i have a 185 in mine and it runs a little rich, but its all good. richer is safer, cause if your lean you going to fry your expensive engine.

cthomps07
09-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Rossier, HC2,Uni and an outerwears airbox cover. What do you think will I need a bigger main. My buddy has a yfz and has mains left over from his kit and he has 165-180 that he said I could use. My elevation is about 500 or so.

pro-rider46
09-19-2007, 07:20 PM
yeah you may just want to get a jet kit, cause you should get the needle and then you can get ALL the jets you need. you may need more than a 185 or 180. and you can use your stock needle, but i did till i got my jet kit it, and it really makes a difference that you can feel. plus my jet kit has jets that are like 200+ and stuff smaller than stock. so look for a cheap but decent jet kit, i bought a brand new dynojet with 11 mj, needle, plug and tool, all for like 35 bucks, on sale. keep your eyes open you can find some good deals out there

cthomps07
09-19-2007, 08:17 PM
All I need are jets. I already have a crf needle. I ordered Rossiers jet kit if I need bigger jets I am just going to order them from C&D I dont want to get a kit if I dont have to....one more thing kicking around my garage. I will just order a few different sized mains and such if needed and play around with it. What about the pilot and leak jet did you change anything there? I know its not the same for everyone I am just wondering what I might need to do. Who knows I might put the jets in I get from Rossier (HRC Jetting) and have it be perfect...we will see. Hopefully all my stuff will be here by saturday and I can have it put together by wednesday I hope.:rolleyes:

pro-rider46
09-19-2007, 08:24 PM
yeah that sounds like a good idea for the jets, i dont knwo what year you bike is, ( i think its a 08, guess) but my quad didnt need it,

pro-rider46
09-19-2007, 08:27 PM
sparks recomends a 175, their needle on the 4th clip, and stock pilot, and sparks are too much different than rossiers. so go with that if you ahve a 06+