PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Advise

Rcarroll
09-18-2007, 04:56 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had raced against cobra 70. Zach is 3rd in the points 3 points out of 2nd, now the 2nd place rider is bringing a cobra 70 next month. So what do we need to do to beat the 70 or am I worried about nothing.

Forgot to tell you we are running a DRX 90cc

dirttrack86
09-18-2007, 05:01 PM
The only thing that can beat a Cobra is another cobra. Case in point, we just raced against 2 drx 90's, 2 honda 90's and one apex 90 this weekend and none of them came close to Hurricanes 50 cobra. Not knocking any brands, as a matter of fact, I wish they would eliminate cobras, just giving you a heads up on whats coming.:)

markvette
09-18-2007, 07:56 PM
well we have had other results at our local track. we have a national rider that races a cobra 50 that races locally too. most our good 90 riders can beat the cobra 50. the boy now races a cobra 70 and the local riders cant beat him but i think a better rider on the cvt 90 could. but he did get beat pretty bad a couple weeks ago by a honda 125. now these are not stock 90's. if the cobra 70 rider is a good rider you will need a 90cc cvt rider that will ride wide open to beat the cobra 70.

Mark

bulldogfallon
09-18-2007, 09:09 PM
How about a track with rules that keep the kids and the sport in mind.

Make them familiar with a term "Unfair Advantage"

Our DRXs are not allowed to race in the stock class against Kaseas..

They run them with the Apex......

It is sad to see that a parent wouldd do something like this to have their child win.

While Cobra makes great quads...situations like this can make the sport unenjoyable and unaffordable.

It should run it it's own class and be scored as such

Things like this can really deter participation at the local level...

Talk to your track promoter and let them know the potential damage that can be done to your local race series if this isn't handle properly

Let it run, but score it as it should be ...separately..

Let the dad know too, so the kid isn't penalized when he/she has to run/score alone...

dirttrack86
09-18-2007, 10:10 PM
RCarrol, To clear those last two statements up a little, if your rider is really, really, really good and the other rider is so-so. Then you might have a chance against a cobra. But if your rider is a Mikey Gleason and the other rider is a Mikey Gleason , then the DRX doesn't stand a chance. I wish all tracks would seperate these two quads into differant classes like the nationals do. But unfortunely, local races usually don't have enough turnout to do this. If the riders are equall and your class allows modifications, do eveything under the sun that is allowed. If they don't allow mods, see if you can borrow a cobra from someone. :)

Logan #34's Dad
09-18-2007, 10:12 PM
I agree w/ Bulldog! (GO BROWNS!!!) Tell the promoter about how the ATVA classes are. 70CVT, 70 Shifter, 70 Production SS-single speed-, 90CVT, 90 Production. Hopefully there are enough mini's to fill the classes there. If they show up with a shifter Cobra then you will have a chance until the kid learns how to ride it (shifting).
Bulldog- Why would they not allow the DRX and Apex to run with Kasea's? I run the DRX and we have been whooped by Kasea's. Same motor and you are probably heavier.
I believe we will see WPSA put the 70CVT class in next year.

bulldogfallon
09-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
I agree w/ Bulldog! (GO BROWNS!!!) Tell the promoter about how the ATVA classes are. 70CVT, 70 Shifter, 70 Production SS-single speed-, 90CVT, 90 Production. Hopefully there are enough mini's to fill the classes there. If they show up with a shifter Cobra then you will have a chance until the kid learns how to ride it (shifting).
Bulldog- Why would they not allow the DRX and Apex to run with Kasea's? I run the DRX and we have been whooped by Kasea's. Same motor and you are probably heavier.

This would be in a stock class...stock vs stock the Kasea doesn't stand a chance...

It is all about the local rules and I didn't post enough info to be clear in my post (sorry)

GO BROWNS!!! Just when I thought it was safe to give up again.....I thought for sure the score would have been a 52-51 loss, but somehow they won...I couldn't even watch the Bengals last drive....I had to leave the room...

bulldogfallon
09-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Run them together, but score them differently...

It is tough for the racers and promoters with the low participation levels and large gap in performance between brands

Just like running a stock Zuki against a DRR....Unfair advantage..

I think the ATVA has some plans for the future that will include the new 4 strokes and allow for the brands to compete fairly at all levels.

The local scene is a whole nother issue!!

dirttrack86
09-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Good point #34, if they show up with a shifter and the rider hasn't had much seat time on it, then you have a super chance of beating him.:)

dirttrack86
09-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey Gary call me, I'm still at work.:)

dirttrack86
09-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Or you could hire O. J. Simpson to go steal the Cobra. LOL. :) :) :D :D Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL. I must be getting really tired. lol:o

Rcarroll
09-19-2007, 04:58 AM
Thanks for all the info. They are pretty equal the way they ride so I was hoping that the learning curve would give us the avantage for at least one of the two races. The other rider rides a older Kesea right now but it is pretty fast
Scoring them seperate is not a option since it is going to be the only Cobra there. It is the last race of the year so we are just going to tell Zach to ride his best and be safe and what happens happens
Thanks again I will let you know what happens after the race next month

dblacks
09-19-2007, 05:42 AM
unfortunatly your track rules allow it just like our local track would as well, we have a jb mod racing in the 8-15 0-90 class. At least at our local track, #s are low so they can't start breaking up classes. We raced a DRX 50 in the 4-7 0-90 class last year and took 2nd because he was consistant not necessarily faster.

Let the dust settle, if the rules allow it then let them do it, perhaps they plan on running it regionally or nationally next year.

If he rides his heart out against it then good for him, stay close as you never know what could happen, it may be too much motor for him and he actully rides it slower than his old quad

mxdad
09-19-2007, 07:55 AM
I think District 6 did the best thing this year the way they split their classes. They run the 50 & 70 Cobras in the Jr mini class and the 90 Cobras in the Supermini class. You can also run hybrids/mod quads in these classes which are the only true competition for the Cobras.

Youth 4 stroke up to 125cc (8-15 yrs)
90cc 2 str/125cc 4 str Production CVT belt driven trans only (8-15 yrs)
70 Prod CVT belt driven trans only 70 cc max (6-11 yrs)
50cc stock limited I class (4-8 )
Quad Jr. Mini (6-11 yrs) up to 70cc (all types mini quads)
Quad Supermini (8-15 yrs) up to 90cc 2 str / 125 4 stroke (all types mini quads)

Logan #34's Dad
09-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Hey MXDAD, RAVENS SUCK! WOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Thought Mr. Lewis was all washed up? Plus 200 yards! LOL We gotta have something to get excited about since racin' about over.