PDA

View Full Version : TRX250R Question RE: SEATS 86-87 vs. 88-89

danhung11
09-18-2007, 01:53 PM
I have an 87. I contacted Quad Tech for an aftermarket seat and they came back with all they had was 88-89 style.

Are these interchangeable?

I want to think that they are but need some confirmation.

Thanks guys! :ermm:

mfr422
09-18-2007, 03:00 PM
danhung11,
The seats are interchangeable, but with a little modification. The front mounts on the seat will work on an 87 . the rear tits will need to be cut off and your rear seat bracket will be used due to the latch being different. We did this on my buddies 86 with a stock seat from service honda, they are still available, but come with a plain black cover. I'm assuming your talking about swapping the complete seat, and not just the cover or foam. Roost on:D :D

danhung11
09-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by mfr422
danhung11,
The seats are interchangeable, but with a little modification. The front mounts on the seat will work on an 87 . the rear tits will need to be cut off and your rear seat bracket will be used due to the latch being different. We did this on my buddies 86 with a stock seat from service honda, they are still available, but come with a plain black cover. I'm assuming your talking about swapping the complete seat, and not just the cover or foam. Roost on:D :D

Question... but physically the shape of the seats, are they the same? Is the front mount the same? I have the rear aftermarket latch I think could just be bolted in anywhere if you drilled some new holes, huh?

mfr422
09-18-2007, 04:21 PM
danhung11,
The shape of the seats is a little different, the 86,87 used a foam that was lower by about 3/4 inch, however I haven't seen any aftermarket foam in that shape because most people want the taller foam for the extra padding. If you have original foam it is farly easy to tell, the early years are very rounded on the edges, whereas the later are taller and more squared off. If you have original foam, you could swap it over to the new seat and it will fit. the original 86,87 seats had an angle at the back, the newer style is more square, my buddy was skeptical about the foam height difference, but once he broke it in , loves it now. I never liked riding his because there wasn't enough padding for my fat butt :) and I would bottom out the foam on the pan. As to your seat latch, the stock seat pan will take either style latch, it has inserts for both. I;m not sure how your latch bolts up as we both have the stock setup. The front mounts are the same, just one bolts on and one is cast in you'll need the wire holding brackets for an 88 up front. I would bet 90 percent of the R's I see have the 88,89 style foam regardless of the year quad, the older style foam doesn't seem to last as well, I think it was a different compound as our original foams look different also.

If you really want that shape, you could always trim the foam and reinstall the cover. My personal preference is the stock 88 style as I have ridden both and think it's easier to move around on. Roost on!!

250Renvy
09-18-2007, 05:04 PM
As far as I know Quad tech takes the whole seat and puts their own foam and cover on it and sells it as a unit.

If this is the case with the 250R then you'll have no problems with the front mount (88-89 has plastic vs metal) The rear latch won't work but that is an easy fix with a K&K latch or ECAtv latch or cutting off the posts and using an OMF or such.

You could always just buy the seat and take off the foam an cover an put it on your base and sell the pan. If it's new it should fetch a decent price.

This is what an 88 seat pan looks like. Let me know if you want any more pics

danhung11
09-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
As far as I know Quad tech takes the whole seat and puts their own foam and cover on it and sells it as a unit.

If this is the case with the 250R then you'll have no problems with the front mount (88-89 has plastic vs metal) The rear latch won't work but that is an easy fix with a K&K latch or ECAtv latch or cutting off the posts and using an OMF or such.

You could always just buy the seat and take off the foam an cover an put it on your base and sell the pan. If it's new it should fetch a decent price.

This is what an 88 seat pan looks like. Let me know if you want any more pics

Thanks 250REnvy! Looks like I will be getting more goodies for the R. :devil: