PDA

View Full Version : Legitimacy of racing a 250r at local races

bentheurer
09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
hey i currently have a kfx 400/450 (looking to trade) and was wondering if i would be better off just keeping it or getting a 250r.
I have read the 250's handle better then the 450's and deffinitly the kfx but is the power enough to keep up with the modern machines? Thanks for the help

ben

Nac's22
09-17-2007, 11:24 PM
this was my first year racing mx and man in some places they are at a disadvantage but in others they actually are an advantage. with a competant(sp?) rider on a 250r you can do very well.... im not the best rider by far and i have beat many riders on stock and modded 450's that have been racing for a few years now. the 250r handles better then like anything. i love racing my r... it makes people go like wtf!!??:confused: when you pass them lol :p

C-LEIGH RACING
09-18-2007, 09:03 AM
To get the full story you got to look at everything when it comes to racing.
AMA/ATVA events dont allow the 2 strokes to compete in the Pro class, Pro Production, Womens, Production A,B,C so in turn all the big fast riders are on 4 strokes or should I say pro riders.
If the 2 strokes were allowed to compete in those classes you would get a different story.

That being as it is, more than likely if you see a 2 stroke on the track it will be a lower class rider on it say like B or C class of rider & realy unless you built the engine you cant tell what size it is or who ported it to know the power output, so in a sence you seeing a false reading on the 2 stroke.

These new 4 stroke ATVs today are so easy to ride one reason most everybody jumping on them & realy stands to reason, why not buy them if it will make you look good out on the track.

It takes a realy good rider to place up front on a 2 stroke machine & most any average type rider to do good on a 4 stroke.

The cards are stacked aginst the 2 stroke either way you look at it be it on the track or on paper.
A 450 aginst a 250, what can I say, but if the 450 out pulls the 250, realy what has the 450 done.
Neil

criminalpoet
09-18-2007, 04:22 PM
I do desert racing on my R and I have yet to be beat by a 450. Each bike requires a certain type of rider though man. They are two totally different beasts. On 1 hand you have the 450 which delivers a smooth usable type of power that just climbs and climbs and climbs. On the other hand you have the 250r which delivers an immediate violent type of power that you have to be ready for. Its all a matter of what type of power you prefer, me personally I like the violent power, it gives me the good rush factor lol.

If you look at numbers via dynos of several of each bike in race built form, they are very simular. Neither one is lite years ahead of the other. Again, it just depends on which type of power fits you personally better as a rider. Recently I tossed around the idea of building a 450. I asked many people and received many different opinions. Then, I actually started trying out some built 450s at some of our hot riding spots out here and I came to the conclusion that I really like my 250r 2 stroke better.

For me, I like the type of power that my 2 stroke gives me, and I like the way my R handles way better too. +, its 10x cheaper to rebuild and work on. On the down side though, depending on what type of racing you do, a lot of doors will be closed to you just because its a 2 stroke and is no longer in production. Either way though, both bikes will definitely put a big smile on your face.

The best advice I could give you is to find somebody that actually has a well built R and ask him if you can take it for a spin! Im sure he wont mind if you let him saddle up on yours lol. Nothing like first hand experience to answer your own question.

brokenbones
09-18-2007, 04:57 PM
i still run my r at the track at local races i run 30 vet a or b depends on how many people enter i am 39 and still run good agianst most 4 strokes in my age group but if i run pro am the young guns rip on the 4 strokes against me but i did let a local pro who is 21 run my r in a local prorace and he still put it on the podium

so i think they are still very competitive at a local level and i am going to run it at pismo worcs race and i will let you know how i do

just my 2 cents

criminalpoet
09-18-2007, 05:01 PM
What all is done to your R if you dont mind me asking? BTW, thats some quality feedback!

atvmxr
09-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Ive raced against plenty of 4 strokes with no problem. Thats the thing about MX, alot of it has to with rider skill. Im sure Doug Gust could get on a 250ex and bust all our butts! :D

when i started racing locally (~1994), we all raced in one class, banshees, zillas, R's, blasters, 300x, whatever. I did really good back then against the faster quads. My most recent race I had a DS650 that couldnt get past me, he'd make up distance in the straights, but I pulled away getting in and out of the corners. I've pulled the holeshot on a gate full of 450s a few times, and I've had 450s pull the holeshot on me.

csr250r
09-19-2007, 07:49 AM
i can compete on my r, this is my first year of MX and i have raced a couple times in A, for motocross a better rider can win on a twostroke, at least where i live, but i see a couple other 250rs and a banshee but otherwise all thumpers, and i was the only 2 stroke in a.

racerx573
09-22-2007, 08:57 PM
It's all about the rider man.. if you're worried about your machine slowing you down... practice practice practice.. I live by the fact that the very last year of the 250 pro class, the championship was won by none other than a 250... but then again JJ isn't human, esp on his R.. he actually sold his Laeger CRF he had built for the year before after only 6 hours or so of practice because he knew he'd be faster on his R, since he knew what he was riding inside and out.. become one with the machine you are on and you can smoke anyone.. I used to smoke R's and 400EX's back in '99-'01 on my Blaster.. simply because I had "become one" with it.. so again.. it all comes down to how you ride her.

badquad
09-23-2007, 03:11 PM
I have said this once before, and I will say it agian.
"Anybody can ride a 4 stroke, but it takes talent to ride a 2 stroke!!"

I got a friend who races his 250R up here in Alaska, and he is the only one, and does fairly well. Top 1-4 in his classes. He rides 3 different classes on it.. He also rides his TRX 450 and does just as well, but he loves to ride his 250R to see everybody's faces drop when he is passing them on a stock cylinder. LOL.

I rather ride my 250R vs. my 400EX any day.:D

C-LEIGH RACING
09-24-2007, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by badquad
I have said this once before, and I will say it agian.
"Anybody can ride a 4 stroke, but it takes talent to ride a 2 stroke!!"

I got a friend who races his 250R up here in Alaska, and he is the only one, and does fairly well. Top 1-4 in his classes. He rides 3 different classes on it.. He also rides his TRX 450 and does just as well, but he loves to ride his 250R to see everybody's faces drop when he is passing them on a stock cylinder. LOL.

I rather ride my 250R vs. my 400EX any day.:D

I'll second & third that about a 2 stroke & dont no body forget it.
Neil

86 Quad R
09-24-2007, 09:40 AM
here! here! amen brother man... i'll 4th that. :cool:

Nac's22
09-24-2007, 12:07 PM
if its possible ill 5th it!

chris46250r
09-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by TRR440EX
if its possible ill 5th it!

Now that we have acquired a fifth, take a drink and pass it around! :D