PDA

View Full Version : kfx...should pull harder...help!???

Dr89
09-17-2007, 08:43 PM
ok so here's my question and here's what i have to go on...my kfx only SEEMS to lack power in the bottom end, of the higher gears. haha this is a really vague and conceited way to judge my lack of power BUT, i've ridin everything, and i can wheelie anything, so i KNOW that i should definately be able to pull my kfx up in at least 3rd as well as 4th and 5th, but 3rd is a given. i say this because this is about the only time i really miss the power. i know its missing somethin because i can almost effortlessly pull up 300's, blasters, other stock z's, 400ex's, yfz's, raptors, even nose heavy warriors, you name it, in at least 5th.

on a more technical note, my jet effecting mods only include the full pipe, k&n w/ outerwear, no air boot, but lid on, and thats it. i put the dyno jet kit in it and have tried the 145, 150 and 155 mains and nothing seems to do the trick, the 155 is in it now and i like it best. any bigger would be to much, its almost rich the way it is, but spark plug comes out light grayish. i dont really know where to go from here...could it possibly be my pilots? or even my sprockets? they're aftermarket by the previous owner, could it be geared higher (more technically "lower" to those of you that are gonna pick that out) and be giving off the feeling of less bottom end power?

i need this low end to be as strong and pull as hard as possible!! my riding consists purely of steep hill climbs, rocky, rutty terrain, mud etc....any other tips to accomplishing this would be appreciated!

jonboy
09-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Put a 13 tooth front sprocket on it.

Dr89
09-17-2007, 10:44 PM
i'll have to see what's on there right now, i'll try that tho.

any other ideas??

hardtrailz400
09-19-2007, 09:58 AM
What size tires? Since i went to 22 rears, i notice it keeps the front down alot more. I think the center of gravity changed quite a bit. I noticed a lack of power in comparing to my 20 rears, but I got a 13 tooth to install which should put the gearing just a bit lower than stock. I think that will be the way to go.

cataway
09-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Dr89
ok so here's my question and here's what i have to go on...my kfx only SEEMS to lack power in the bottom end, of the higher gears. haha this is a really vague and conceited way to judge my lack of power BUT, i've ridin everything, and i can wheelie anything, so i KNOW that i should definately be able to pull my kfx up in at least 3rd as well as 4th and 5th, but 3rd is a given. i say this because this is about the only time i really miss the power. i know its missing somethin because i can almost effortlessly pull up 300's, blasters, other stock z's, 400ex's, yfz's, raptors, even nose heavy warriors, you name it, in at least 5th.

on a more technical note, my jet effecting mods only include the full pipe, k&n w/ outerwear, no air boot, but lid on, and thats it. i put the dyno jet kit in it and have tried the 145, 150 and 155 mains and nothing seems to do the trick, the 155 is in it now and i like it best. any bigger would be to much, its almost rich the way it is, but spark plug comes out light grayish. i dont really know where to go from here...could it possibly be my pilots? or even my sprockets? they're aftermarket by the previous owner, could it be geared higher (more technically "lower" to those of you that are gonna pick that out) and be giving off the feeling of less bottom end power?

i need this low end to be as strong and pull as hard as possible!! my riding consists purely of steep hill climbs, rocky, rutty terrain, mud etc....any other tips to accomplishing this would be appreciated!
no air boot, but lid on ???? im confused

Dr89
09-19-2007, 04:52 PM
well, in the top center of the front of the airbox where there should be a boot going up under the seat to get air there is just a hole, and i have the airbox lid on...is that what you were confused about? or the fact that i have the lid and not the boot? without a lid i was letting in waaaay to much mud and water and stuff, because all i do is xc and trail ride...i've got a couple strips of pantyhose over the hole lol...it catches the big stuff. hope that clears it up...

drzoo2
09-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Dr89
well, in the top center of the front of the airbox where there should be a boot going up under the seat to get air there is just a hole, and i have the airbox lid on...is that what you were confused about? or the fact that i have the lid and not the boot? without a lid i was letting in waaaay to much mud and water and stuff, because all i do is xc and trail ride...i've got a couple strips of pantyhose over the hole lol...it catches the big stuff. hope that clears it up...

Get rid of the lid and get one of the filter covers. K&N makes one and some other company that I can't think of. Great upgrade. You'll need to rejet. I closed my snorkel off with some gorilla tape so the lid filter gets all the crap.

jonboy
09-19-2007, 09:11 PM
EHS is the company that makes a really good airbox lid. Get rid of the WB CDI( Procom) and get a Dynatech That thing made a world of a difference with my Mods.

cataway
09-20-2007, 03:12 AM
ya what he said about the cdi ,i have the graphs to prove it.
that boot that you removed is commonly called a snorkel ,in very high water it could keep water out it does let dust in ,that ok thats what the air filter is for ,it other function is to dampen the noise facter from the carb but if ya have a open pipe it doesnt make much difference all ya can hear its the pipe any way.
you can gain alittle hp if the stock air boot is replaced with some thing that flows a little easier ,about the cheapest easiest way to do that is replacing it with one from a 400ex ,it will give you 1 to 2 hp increase .jetting more than likely will have to be stepped up a bit . a lid with just an outerwears would be more to my liking but each to his own.