PDA

View Full Version : swinger and shock for a 250r mx?

Rip_Tear
09-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Well I need to upgrade the suspension on the 250R, I want to just ride it MX, it's already got +2 a-arms and I'm going to get Elka triple's for up front, but I don't know what or if I should change swing arms? and get a new rear shock or just get it rebuilt? Any suggestions?

Thanks

250rmike
09-19-2007, 12:27 PM
you might get a better response in the 250r forum but here goes. what year bike is it. since your getting front elkas i would go ahead and have your rear rebuilt by them also are you getting ssd if get that on the rear. whatever you do to the front do to the rear. the 250r rear shock is a good shock to begin with

Rip_Tear
09-19-2007, 05:38 PM
thanks mike, it's an 86. I assumed that I would get the same stuff in the rear as the front. I am probably going to go with SSD. I was not sure if the rear shock could be rebuilt into a capable shock to match the fronts.

Would you suggest that I stay with the stock swing arm? I don't really see a reason to change it... But I know a lot of people talk about the linkage, (Elka linkage...)?

I'm new to all this 250 stuff, just not sure what people have been doing etc.

Thanks again!

250rmike
09-19-2007, 05:46 PM
for m,x you might want to go down i beleive it was an inch. i cant remember off the top of my head if the 88-89 swingarm with bolt up but i dont think it does without changing a few things this will get more wieht to the front of the bike and it will fly and handle alittle better that is unless the a-arms are already +1 forward. you wouldnt happen to know would you? the stock swingarm should be good though. getting the shorter swingarm will help it handle alittle better. i used to ride my 86 on a mx track with stock a-arms and swingarm so it wont be a problem just a preference to some racers