PDA

View Full Version : strip down and powder coat ?'s

gclax1336
09-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Hi, I have a z400 and I realy want to tear it down and get it all powder coated this winter. Has any one done it? How hard is it to do? How much will it cost around at the end?

thanks

Pappy
09-19-2007, 09:23 PM
It's not that difficult if you have some mechanical knowledge. The average person can have it 100% disassembled in 4 or 5 hours.

PC prices vary around the country, ranging from $150 to $500.

The cost that alot of people don't expect is when they find bearings and seals and other maintence items that need replaced.

If it is something you want, by all means plan it out and go for it!

born2ride14
09-21-2007, 04:49 PM
im 11 and i completelly took my polaris 90 apart one day by my self

09-21-2007, 05:24 PM
there is another option other than powder coating. There is a special kind of paint that is really really durable on frames and things of that sort. I went a picked up every thing needed today including sandpaper for 114 bucks. the guy that i bought the stuff from said he has used it on every thing from drag cars to street bikes to dirtbikes and he said that he prefers it.. Im willing to try it. He showed me pics of it afterwards on a dirtbike and it looked awesome.

exsweetie66
09-22-2007, 08:59 AM
pricing really depends on where you go. if you go to a place that specializes in it its obviously going to be pretty expensive. the place here in wichita ks called Lorac is like $600 for JUST the frame. but if you can find an independent pc'er that does it on the side like me it will be pretty reasonable. i spent $210 for the frame, subframe, swinger, a-arms, hubs, sprocket, throttle and nerfs. Not to mention where you get it done may charge extra if they have to order in special colors or add metal flake etc;

When you get it powdercoated its an ideal time to do maintenance you wouldn't normally do (like an oil change), change your seals, clean and re-grease everything so it'll roll smooth.

When looking for a powdercoater in your area ask people that already have thiers powdercoated where they got it done. call the business and make sure to ask questions like "does the powder coating include sandblasting?" if not "where do you suggest getting it sand blasted?" "what is your turn around time?"