View Full Version : Clutch Problems ?? Oil Problem ??

afterhours
09-17-2007, 08:09 AM
got a used 400 a few weeks ago and i've started having some clutch problems. it had to wrong leaver and perch on it at first and it was really hard to pull. after riding a weekend or so i noticed an oil leak also. well i put a stock leaver on and got the cable adjusted pretty decent put now it has been slipping. i thought that maybe i had done damage to the clutch b/c of the leaver but now i'm reading that it could be from the oil. once i noticed it was low all i did was add havoline 10w40 b/c i didn't know any better. could this be the problem and what should i do to try and correct it before i tear into the clutch.

the 400 supposedly has a 440 kit and i noticed that the heads are polished from when i did a choke removal on the carb. does that play a factor in my oil choice and it also supposidly has a hinson cluch setup.

help me out here and let me know what to try out.

02CR500Rex
09-17-2007, 12:51 PM
you can't use regular motor oil in an ATV with a wet clutch system. The automotive motor oil has an additive that will eat at the clutch material and caise your clutches slip. Napa or your local ATV dealer will have Honda motor oil for under $5 per quart (NAPA price is like $4.34 or something)...that's what I'd go with if as a good all around oil. If you want to spend a little more you could probably purchase a racing or synbthetic oil from your local dealer. I wouldn't recommend riding it any more until you change the oil.

It'll take almost 2 quarts...I'd go ahead and buy 4 quarts and 2 filters (NAPA will have all of the above if you don't have a dealer nearby). Change the oil once, take it for a spin...if no slips, run it for a couple days and change the oil once again. If this cures your problem, you should be good to go. If not, try adjusting your clutch again...might have it pulled a little too tight.

If not, I just ordered a clutch kit off eBay for around $70 shipped...haven't got a chance to test it out yet, but it looked a lot better than the old stocker that was in it. Not all that hard to change either...you'll need a clutch and gasket...and if it comes to this, make sure you don't over-torque the clutch bolts...the WILL break.

afterhours
09-18-2007, 06:58 AM
thanks alot of the reply. the only other atv i have had was a kfx 700 and they have a dry clutch so i didn't think anything about the clutch until it started slipping. i'm going to go with the oil first and see what that does. the 400 is suppose to have a hinson clutch setup but who knows until i actually pull it apart and look at it.

i live about 80 miles from the nearest honda dealer what would be my other option if napa doesn't have honda oil. i do have a near by kawi dealer would they have something or would something off the shelf at a parts store work just as well?

02CR500Rex
09-18-2007, 09:42 PM
I've never been to a NAPA that didn't have an ATV/Motorcycle section...it might be small, but they should have one...they usually stock Honda and Havoline atv oil..along with chain lube, 2 stroke oil, etc. should all be in one place...just call ahead so you don't waste a trip. You could use a Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc. oil...don't see what the difference would be anyway. Just make sure whatever you get is approved for wet clutch systems and you'll be good to go. My #1 pick would be the Honda oil, though. Hope that cures ur problem.

afterhours
09-19-2007, 07:52 AM
thanks for the heads up!

afterhours
09-20-2007, 06:52 AM
changed the oil etc. and there is still slippage in 4th and 5th gear. what exactly would you commonly think that i will need to replace? any help is appreciated.

svahle
09-20-2007, 08:56 AM
First double check the clutch adjustment. If adjusted properly, you probably will just need clutch plates. Might as well put in new springs also. Check your basket for grooves and file them out if they aren't too bad. That will probably take care of your problems.

Another affordable oil that I have heard good things about is the Shell Rotella synthetic. You can get it at Wal-Mart and it is safe for these clutches. Might do a search for more info on it.

afterhours
09-20-2007, 10:54 AM
yea i've heard other good things about the shell rotella. i think my problems with the clutch go back to the person who previously had the 400. i think he rolled it and put a bicyle break on for a clutch lever and had it too tight b/c when i got the 400 you couldn't hardly pull the bike lever in. i've gotten it changed over but i think the damage was already done. i've never messed with a clutch in one of these things abut it doesn't sound TOO difficult.