PDA

View Full Version : twist throttles who has em?

JJs450r
09-16-2007, 06:51 PM
well after to days race i was thinking of makin the switch 2 a twist throttle, both motos i pulled hole shot and pulled aways untilla bout the 4th lap and i couldnt even push the thumb in no more what yall think of them?

161xchonda
09-16-2007, 07:36 PM
the same thing used to happen to me. i have run a twist throttle for a couple of years and i love it. it does not bother me one bit. even when my thumb is feeling ok while riding with a thumb throttle i would still much rather have a twist.

xc_racer1
09-16-2007, 07:39 PM
it all depends on what u like. i used to ride dirt bikes and i loved it on a bike. but i road a quad that had a twist and i didnt like it at all. its a lot diff. to ride a bike with one and a quad with one. but its all in what u like.

ZeroLogic
09-16-2007, 08:21 PM
I have a twist throttle.:eek:

BlaineKaiser450
09-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I hate a twist throttle.:eek:

TRX_450
09-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I hate a twist throttle.:eek:

i cant stand em on a quad

Scott-300ex
09-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Yeh twist throttles are sweet.

mephyst
09-16-2007, 10:07 PM
I love my twist throttle. I cannot stand a thumb... I feel like I have no control whatsoever. My thumb goes numb after awhile, and when I go through whoops I feel like I can't hang on with my right hand if I get into some really rough stuff.

Twist throttles are great, especially for me still riding dirtbikes and streetbikes.

2004exrider
09-16-2007, 10:08 PM
IMO they're just to dangerous, but then again i might just be biast (SP?) towards them because one made me crash pretty bad. The way i feel is if it didn't come with one, then there's a reason.

Jimmy

JJs450r
09-17-2007, 05:10 AM
well when i was growing up riding it was with a twist so i guess imma give it a try because i hate losing because i can push my self because i have arm pump or my thumb want move

cbrooks118
09-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
IMO they're just to dangerous, but then again i might just be biast (SP?) towards them because one made me crash pretty bad. The way i feel is if it didn't come with one, then there's a reason.

Jimmy

So by your reasoning, you shouldnt put exhaust, shocks, or different tires because they dont come factory?

I ride a twist for personal preference. got hooked on my ol banshee, pullin 2 carb slides sucked on my thumb

2004exrider
09-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by cbrooks118
So by your reasoning, you shouldnt put exhaust, shocks, or different tires because they dont come factory?

I ride a twist for personal preference. got hooked on my ol banshee, pullin 2 carb slides sucked on my thumb

Smart ***. I was trying to give a good example of how I felt about twist.

Jimmy

250rmike
09-17-2007, 10:58 AM
i dont like twist i rode a quad with one and it was just to hard to control i couldnt get used to it. if your having problems with your thumb you either need to ride more or do thumb exercises it been covered on here before

09-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Thumb > Twist

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1576/5132/129640.jpg

suzukigirl
09-17-2007, 04:12 PM
i really like twist throttles....and i have one on my quad...but i'm going to switch to one of the dual purpose throttles for racing...because after going to the joe byrd school i realised how much easier a thumb is for racing

67mopar
09-17-2007, 05:05 PM
theres always the choice of getting the terry cable dual gasser, so you can switch from thumb to twist with the push of a pin. im thinkin about gettin one, kind of expensive though but pretty sweet.

JJs450r
09-17-2007, 05:19 PM
well i went head and picked up one today only cost 30 bucks, i grew up around twist throttles so it shouldnt be 2 hard to get used to, as for thumb excercise does thumb wars count? haha jk

ZeroLogic
09-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by TRX_450
i cant stand em on a quad

Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450

Lmao. I ment I have a twist throttle.:blah: But I hate them on quads.

2004exrider
09-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by JJs450r
well i went head and picked up one today only cost 30 bucks, i grew up around twist throttles so it shouldnt be 2 hard to get used to, as for thumb excercise does thumb wars count? haha jk

Just take it easy at first, when you take a turn you'll notice that you start giving it gas.

Jimmy

JJs450r
09-17-2007, 09:17 PM
thanks ya i have 2 weeks before my next race so that should be some descent amount of practice sucks i gotat get a new stem though

OutlawBill
09-17-2007, 09:30 PM
I have both

suzukigirl
09-17-2007, 09:37 PM
i want to get one of those....how's the thumb on that?...i heard from someone that its kinda stiff..can that be adjusted?

mephyst
09-17-2007, 10:41 PM
It all comes down to preference... but why would you hate it on a quad? What's the difference between that and a bike? I have always changed my quads to twist within a couple rides on them while they were new, because I just could not stand a thumb, having and being used to bikes... My main complaint with a thumb was going through rough whoop sections and my thumb sliding off because i wanted to keep a solid grip, therefore cutting my gas off and causing me to nearly fly over the bars. I just felt like I had no grip with my throttle hand, but that's just me I guess.

Toadz400
09-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by mephyst
It all comes down to preference... but why would you hate it on a quad? What's the difference between that and a bike? I have always changed my quads to twist within a couple rides on them while they were new, because I just could not stand a thumb, having and being used to bikes... My main complaint with a thumb was going through rough whoop sections and my thumb sliding off because i wanted to keep a solid grip, therefore cutting my gas off and causing me to nearly fly over the bars. I just felt like I had no grip with my throttle hand, but that's just me I guess.

I feel it's different because all your control is through the handlebars on a quad whereas on a bike you do a lot of leaning to turn. Whenever I hit bumps on a quad I am always giving it more gas because it's what I'm hanging onto it with. Also my wrist feels weaker when I'm hitting bumps and I'm having to twist my hand back and forth.

It's all personal preference. I've been riding quads since I can remember and have had no problem with my thumb becoming sore. And yes, I do own a Banshee so I know what it's like to have a stiff thumb throttle.

67mopar
09-18-2007, 01:19 PM
yea, outlawbill has the terry cable throttle that i was talkin about. hows it doin by the way? did you have to get a new throttle cable or anything?

09-18-2007, 06:32 PM
i think your thumb got sore because you havent ridden in 8 years haha. Just give it a month or so of riding and if your still cramping then try out a twistie. Most of the people around here that have tried them said they were weird for the turns/jumping