PDA

View Full Version : Snow... what works, what helps?

beobe99
09-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Well its not snowing yet (and for alls i know iit wont this year where im at) but figured Id get a jump on preparing for it.

I know 2-strokes quads arn't the best in the snow. And i know if you sit there and rev the snot out of it thinking that a help you'll blow it up. What I would like to know is what HELPS!..

My R is set up for low/mid range, type-6 pipe, 36mm carb, k&n, and reed spacer (I'm debating on weighted flywheel)

-What gearing have you guys noticed is best?

-What tire size? and what tires? anyone use those "4-snow" tires?

thanks

ny300exrider
09-15-2007, 10:37 PM
im not sure on the gearing aspect....but i do know that i have only heard good things about the 4 snow tires. im a HUGE snow rider....every storm we get i am out from beginning to end riding the streets. i try to stay out of the powder because getting stuck sucks and i let the snowmobilers have the feilds, but the common rule of thumb is: the bigger the tire, the better. your ground clearance will be increased allowing you to get through deeper snow without hanging up on the skids. the good thing with the 4 snows, is the fact that they expand under acceleration allowing you to really grip the hard pack snow, and "float" through the powder. i havnt personally used them because i dont ride deep snow, roads only....but i have seen a video of a kid doing wheelies in a foot or two of powder on a banshee with them.

good luck, THINK SNOWWW!

SWIGIN
09-16-2007, 08:02 AM
i dont agree that 2 strokes are bad in the snow...i had a set of skis on my q-racer back in the 90s and that thing in 6'' or less would hange with sleds

TANNER250r
09-16-2007, 04:13 PM
do you have any pics from the q-racer i want to put skis on my 250r but need help? Sand tires work but get clogged with snow unless you put them on backwards.

beobe99
09-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by SWIGIN
i dont agree that 2 strokes are bad in the snow...i had a set of skis on my q-racer back in the 90s and that thing in 6'' or less would hange with sleds

What size tires would you run? and what type of tire.. I've seen the ski set ups for quads before and it looks bad arse!... but if im correct they also had trac's for the rear not atv tires..