PDA

View Full Version : TRX cuts out after wheeling!

Ted J
09-15-2007, 06:16 PM
I know this is the 400EX section but the two quads seem similar so I figured I'd ask in here as well.

Just like the subject says, when I wheelie my '98 300EX after I'm done wheeliing it bogs out and dies out or I've got to throttle it a bunch to try to keep it running. If I try to start it back up again it sort of sputters but eventually starts. One time I turned the chock on and it started up and then I turned the chock off and this leads me to believe it's being starved for fuel. If I wait like 20 or 30 seconds though and I try to start it up it starts up and sputters just a little bit and then it runs like a champ again until I wheelie it. This only happens when I wheelie it and or when I drive up like a pretty good hill.

I recenly took the carb. off and took it apart, the float looks good and the needle looked good as well. Sprayed carb cleaner through the jets and cleaned it out the best that I could. Don't know what the problem could be. I also just put a newer coil and cap on and a new spark plug so combine cleaning the carb. with those things and it's running strong now, just can't wheelie or go up hills!

Thinking maybe a clogged fuel line or I dunno. Anybody had this problem before?

Thanks!

pitchblack400
09-16-2007, 10:25 AM
sounds like its flooding it, but you said the float looked good, dont know just my 2 cents.

Ted J
09-17-2007, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by pitchblack400
sounds like its flooding it, but you said the float looked good, dont know just my 2 cents.

I wondered if it was flooding too but it seemed to run lean and while it was having issues starting (this is after it's warmed up mind you) I put the chock on and while it didn't start without it the thing fired right up with the chock on so it seems to be lean for that short period of time. Also, if you just lift the front of the quad up it idles just fine but if you get on it to try to wheelie it and then come back down then it has problems.

I also noticed that if I kept it revved up, like I'd wheelie and then when it came down I kept on the throttle to stay revved higher it was okay. The thinking there was that maybe the float level was low and the high speed jet would still get some gas since it goes down into the float more but the low speed jet maybe wasn't getting any gas for the level was too low.

I think I'll pull the tank and make sure the petcock (sp?) isn't plugged and also that the line going into the carb. isn't plugged either and go from there.

Thanks!

Ted J
09-20-2007, 10:49 AM
With Ghost-Rider's suggestion here on this forum I figured it out last night. The hose that goes out the left side of the carb. was plugged and after I used some compressed air to blow it out I was pulling some pretty high wheelies and it never missed a beat! I also blew out the gas cap and it's hose as well so that might have been a factor as well. The 300EX runs great it should be a blast for my friend this weekend when he goes riding with my brother and I!