View Full Version : '98 300EX cuts out after I wheelie it!

Ted J
09-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Just like the subject says, when I wheelie my '98 300EX after I'm done wheeliing it bogs out and dies out or I've got to throttle it a bunch to try to keep it running. If I try to start it back up again it sort of sputters but eventually starts. One time I turned the chock on and it started up and then I turned the chock off and this leads me to believe it's being starved for fuel. If I wait like 20 or 30 seconds though and I try to start it up it starts up and sputters just a little bit and then it runs like a champ again until I wheelie it. This only happens when I wheelie it and or when I drive up like a pretty good hill.

I recenly took the carb. off and took it apart, the float looks good and the needle looked good as well. Sprayed carb cleaner through the jets and cleaned it out the best that I could. Don't know what the problem could be. I also just put a newer coil and cap on and a new spark plug so combine cleaning the carb. with those things and it's running strong now, just can't wheelie or go up hills!

Thinking maybe a clogged fuel line or I dunno. Anybody had this problem before?

Thanks!

Ghost-Rider
09-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Its most likely your carb overflow drain, you will and it drains the gas out of the carb so it stalls, then once your flat again it fills and runs.

Ted J
09-19-2007, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
Its most likely your carb overflow drain, you will and it drains the gas out of the carb so it stalls, then once your flat again it fills and runs.

Where is the carb. overflow drain located? Do I maybe have it mounted too low or something and that's causing it to drain? What about the carb overflow is causing the problem?

I noticed it seems like the float level is low for when it's sputting and I'm trying to get it started again if I use the choke it starts up but had issues revving and then after a little bit of a wait it then runs just fine again.

I also noticed if I kept it revved up it would stay running, consider the high speed jet is lower down in the bowl that makes sense as well.

Ted J
09-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider

If you are talking about the tube going out the left side of the carb. then you were right! The hose was plugged and after I used some compressed air to blow it out I was pulling some pretty high wheelies and it never missed a beat!

Thanks for the info!