PDA

View Full Version : Weve got a tire delima

QuadJunkies
09-15-2007, 01:41 PM
The next round of the WORC seris is a beach race and is held at Pismo.
We have been tossing around some ideas for tires and keep running into the same delima...
Weight vs tire size and floatation.
I thin the msaller tires will dig and not do so well in the sand,the bigger tirese will float better ,but add quite abit more weight.
16-14 lbs. depending on what tire set up :eek:
Also, what about running a mohawk in the front vs a dirt tire?
They too will be slightly heavier at 10lbs without a rim and the 20 inch razor cross tires are about 12lbs. on a rim .BUT....it would be alot less drag I think.
do you think the wieght of the bigger tires would be worth it for this race?
I would hate to see him get buried and cant pull himself out in the sand vs an added weight .
Any suggestions?

OH!!! Also, what would you think about maybe us custom grooving a tire?? We have a groover and tossed around the idea of cutting some cup like shapes in the tires we use now.

raidernut
09-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Tina if you cut forward facing cups, the tires will be illegal for the beach race. You cannot have a forward facing paddle or cup. We all ran the regular tire setup for any other track, and did not have any problems at all. You will be surprised how well they work just air down some. I think we will be running razr cross like brandon has

QuadJunkies
09-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by raidernut
Tina if you cut forward facing cups, the tires will be illegal for the beach race. You cannot have a forward facing paddle or cup.
Thats good to know.
WE have ran on sand at home, buts its much different Im sure than Pismo's sand.
We will most likely stick with the Maxxis Cross or run the LT450 Dunlap then .

camsdad
09-16-2007, 03:47 PM
if you want a light tire that works well in the sand look at kenda scorpion..

QuadJunkies
09-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by camsdad
if you want a light tire that works well in the sand look at kenda scorpion..
I dont know that Ive ever seen that tire.
Ill check it out!

ecmini1
09-17-2007, 04:22 PM
We run a kenda scorpion tire and they work real well and are light! I can take a pic if you want to see them it almost looks like a turf tamer.

camsdad
09-17-2007, 05:38 PM
works better than a tamer,has a flatter profile that works good in the sand..

bulldogfallon
09-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Would these be a better choice than the Kenda Klaws for future stock DRX 70 and DRX90?

QuadJunkies
09-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Is this the tire?The do remind me abit of a Tamer, although I didnt care for my tamers in sand ,at least on my own quad.
Ill have to check prices on these!
Hows the weight, I know it was mentioned that they was light.? And if there was any, was there any noticeable difference felt?
Only thing was I hate to buy a tire I will not use again until next season .lol
Id love to see a mini with them mounted though! :)
I think for Razr Cross tires would be an AWEOME tire to come stock on the DRR,we are VERY pleased with them so far.They are designed with the mini in mind on size and arent overkill in width is what we liked about them .
https://secure11.encrypted-secure.com/~atvtires/images/atv-tires/img-kenda-k290-scorpion-atv-tires.jpg

camsdad
09-18-2007, 07:42 AM
that is the tire,looks to be mounted on a narrow wheel though..they are alot flatter profile on a 8x8..i will try to weigh the razr cross and the scorpion today and let you know....i do not care for the razr cross in the sand at all...

ecmini1
09-18-2007, 08:34 AM
We run the 18x9.5x8 on a 10 wide rim on a 90cc mini. in my hand they weigh asmuch as our snow 18in . We like the tires work very well. I can bolt them on and take a photo if you like.

QuadJunkies
09-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by camsdad
that is the tire,looks to be mounted on a narrow wheel though..they are alot flatter profile on a 8x8..i will try to weigh the razr cross and the scorpion today and let you know....i do not care for the razr cross in the sand at all...
I talked to some riders who raced minis out at Pismo last year and they said a wider tire woule be better for the sand. The narrower tires would dig badly, which is what I expected .. We wont be using the RazrsI dont think. Im certain the Cross tires will most likely weigh more.They are a little heavier than other tires,although you really cant feel it .

I think we will just stick with the dunlaps for this race .We mounted them and they fit good and look like they will do fine. I wish the front Dunlaps werent so heavy- now those you could tell are heavier! Still love them though.....
:scary:
Thank you and I really appreciated all the suggestions! :)

camsdad
09-18-2007, 09:55 AM
bulldog, didnt mean to ignore your ?,scorpions over klaws any condition on a mini quad...

Steven623
09-19-2007, 05:33 AM
Where can I get the razorcross tires? I've tried a few places and haven't had any luck getting them? I've got the fronts allready.Need 18x6.50x8

Thanks!

QuadJunkies
09-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Steven623
Where can I get the razorcross tires? I've tried a few places and haven't had any luck getting them? I've got the fronts allready.Need 18x6.50x8

Thanks!

We got our tiires direct, so Im not sure... What I would do is call Maxxis direct, they will get you in touch with the warehouses that have them in stock.
At least, thats what they have done for us before.
I know when we got both the narrow version and the wider ones,they had to come from separate warehouses cause one was sold out and one the tire was too new to be in all of them.