PDA

View Full Version : Applying graphics

slayer50
09-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Applying Graphics

Items needed: heat gun or hair dryer and the graphics to be applied.

It is important that the graphics be applied in a warm area. Graphics or number plate backgrounds are more pliable and easier to install in warm conditions.

It is also important to have the plastics completely clean and dry before applying the new graphics or backgrounds.

First peel back a small section of the graphic to be applied from the leading edge and fold the backing flat underneath. Now you can lay the sticker flat against the plastic to make sure everything lines up. If there is any screw holes line up the cut outs.

If it all looks good peel back a little more of the backing and keep working your way along making sure to squeeze out any air bubbles. Apply a bit of heat as you go, this softens the sticker and makes it easier to stick on curved sections of your plastics.

Once the whole sticker is applied, squeeze out any air bubbles and give it a good rub down with a rag while applying a bit more heat, this makes sure it has stuck well.

If you find at any point that you have an air bubble that you can't squeeze to the edge, You can pop it with a pin and get rid of the air that way BE CAREFUL AND PATIENT.

I found this tip at http://kickindustriesmx.com/

YZ400EX
09-22-2007, 12:42 AM
I have actually been nothing but successful when applying graphics by using a spray bottle and spritzing both the sticky side of the graphics that are being applied as well as the surface they are being applied to.. the water will allow the graphics to be moved around with little resistance until you find the exact place you want them, but will not make them so that they arent sticky anymore.. then just use like a credit card with a towel on the edge of the card (so you dont scratch the graphics) and just squeegy the water out from underneath.. Has always worked for me with no issues with the kits..Years down the road they are still stuck on there!! Just contributing on another way of doing things..:D

ida400ex
11-30-2007, 01:23 PM
on my graphics i used warm water in a spray bottle with about 2 drops of soap in it. the went on easy. if its your fitst time i would recomend starting with a small graphic on it to figure it out.

dirtybird
12-04-2007, 03:55 PM
I went to one of my local bike shops and the spray called STICKER ON is the poo. Make sure your bike is clean where the graphics will be placed spray the stuff on the back of the graphics, apply it on the location. Then you just start from the middle sliding ur hands to the out side spreading the stuff out. No bubbles and no issues what so ever.

Quadkid440
12-18-2007, 02:04 AM
another thing to do is apply it like window tint
the list of whats needed is like this:
Spray bottle with water/baby shampoo hybrid
Squeegee
Heat gun
and if necessary a razor blade

Just prep the surface then squeegee it after spraying the application solution

Peel the graphic or what have you from the backing and soak the Eff out of it with the solution, then spray the area it will be applied too, then apply it, line it up correctly, then squeege starting from the middle out and after all air bubbles are gone and your happy with, hit it with heat gun to stretch the grafik so it looks really nice and conforms well to the surface

and the if needed trim off any excess or do whatever you wanna do if your feeling squirrelly

brock_fuzzy_69
12-18-2007, 10:54 AM
distilled water and a tiny bit of "no more tears" shampoo
i spray it on both surfaces and it lets me slide things around a little bit before i squeegee the air bubbles out

EXinMB
01-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I WORK AT A HONDA DEALER AND IVE DONE A FEW GRAPHICS KITS ON BIKES AND QUADS AND I WAS JUST TOLD DON'T SCREW UP ON MY FIRST KIT. LOL. YA NO PRESSURE. I USUALL JUST START REALLY SLOW LINING UP BOLT HOLES AND EDGES OF PLASTICS AND THEN USE A HEAT GUN TO WARM IT UP AND THEN A PLASTIC SCRAPER TO PUSH THE AIR BUBBLES OUT. SOME PPL SAY YOU CAN MAKE A CUT RIGHT BESIDE THE BUBBLE AND PUSH THE AIR OUT BUT THAT LOOKS TACKY. FOR A FIRST TIMER ITS KINDA NERVE RACKING BUT ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF IT ITS NO BIG DEAL