PDA

View Full Version : steering stabilizer

gcart2
09-14-2007, 06:41 PM
ok.. i have p;us 2q a arms and dont ride trails... well i was bored and i was FLYING threw some took a turn and tire caught a tree and my chest ate handles. (lsr a arms help up like a champ =) and over time i have got tired of bump steer. i have been needing a stabilizer for some time now but im finaly gonna make myself get 1. what kind do you suggest. im looking to spend 100-200 some where in there. any suggestions?

MO-EX-RIDER
09-14-2007, 07:01 PM
100-200 is a new stick style or maybe if you find one....a used w.e.r.
most sticks are the same but with different companys' decal on it, also go with a rebuildable one just to be safe!

svahle
09-14-2007, 08:27 PM
The stick style stablizers do a decent job for the price. I have experience with the Denton and liked it fine.

What offset are your wheels? If you have 3/2 offset wheels you will have more feedback. Try 4/1 offset (however this will make you 1 inch narrower on each side). 4/1 offset with a stabalizer is about as good as you can do to relieve the effects of feedback without going to Fasstflex bars.

my88r
09-14-2007, 09:21 PM
i would go with a used good condition w.e.r,

Farabomb
09-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Bump steer is when the supension increases or decreases the steering angle without input from the bars. It's not when the bars get ripped out of your hands when you smack a rock. All the steering dampeners in the world won't help bad supension geometry. Too much information about it Here. (http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/longtech3.htm)

I, coming from car racing, has trouble understanding some on the 92 way adustable and rebuildable dampening systems out there. The simple stick ones I think I understand. Looks like a gas shock mounted from the frame to the stem. Quick input from the stem gets resisted by the shock, just like the shocks on the quad. Normal steering forces from the stem get little or no dampening alowing you to steer normally. <simple answer> you hit rock/tree/whatever with the front tire the dampener soaks up the hit that would otherwise snap the bars into your chest. </simple answer>

When I get my supension sorted I will be in the market for a dampener. Just like in the racecar I know I can spend lots of money on something and it will do all I want and more. I also know I can normally get something that will do the job a lot cheaper. I'm not racing in the nationals on my quad, I have a racecar for that. I'm playing with it in the woods.

Do I need a $500 dampener or will a $150 stick type work well enough for my needs?

gcart2
09-15-2007, 04:44 AM
well they have 1 here for a good price
www.dentonracing.com
rebuildable..... how often will i have to rebuild. i ride like 3 days a week.

09-15-2007, 06:07 AM
lets just say that the noss machine from ebay is about the cheapest you will find...you can get it off of ebay for cheaper than from noss' machines site.

i don't recommend a rebuildable one becuase it is a waste of money...you can buy a new cartridge(the shock part) for about $40 and essentially have a completely new dampner. where as you can spend $40 more for the original in a rebuildable version and then spend $20-25 for a rebuild kit and another 20-25 to have it rebuilt if you are not able to do that yourself. if you do it my way, you just simply bolt a new cartridge to you existing shock mounts...now you have a brand new dampner and you are still less than having a rebuilt one.

rebuild time or cartridge replacement time depends on how much abuse you give it...if it takes a lot of hard its, it won't last as long, but if it has the occasional hard hit, it will last longer

now to answer farabombs question...a $120 noss machine stabilizer will be fine for trail riding, i do not race and this works great for me...as a matter of fact, i have bought 2 noss stabilizers...one for my 400ex and one for my 450r and both have done their job in woods for my agressive casual riding. now if i were to decide to race a full season, then i would have one of the puck style dampners

400exrider707
09-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Farabomb
Bump steer is when the supension increases or decreases the steering angle without input from the bars. It's not when the bars get ripped out of your hands when you smack a rock. All the steering dampeners in the world won't help bad supension geometry. Too much information about it Here. (http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/longtech3.htm)

I, coming from car racing, has trouble understanding some on the 92 way adustable and rebuildable dampening systems out there. The simple stick ones I think I understand. Looks like a gas shock mounted from the frame to the stem. Quick input from the stem gets resisted by the shock, just like the shocks on the quad. Normal steering forces from the stem get little or no dampening alowing you to steer normally. <simple answer> you hit rock/tree/whatever with the front tire the dampener soaks up the hit that would otherwise snap the bars into your chest. </simple answer>

When I get my supension sorted I will be in the market for a dampener. Just like in the racecar I know I can spend lots of money on something and it will do all I want and more. I also know I can normally get something that will do the job a lot cheaper. I'm not racing in the nationals on my quad, I have a racecar for that. I'm playing with it in the woods.

Do I need a $500 dampener or will a $150 stick type work well enough for my needs?

Your link worked in this thread, good read. You can read about it for quads here http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300433

That will help those who dont understand it get a better visual too.

A stick style damener works for most, and this is what I currently use. Those who run a puck style ($500) say that going from stick to puck is like going from nothing to stick. You should decide whether you need it or not. If you have the money I say go for it. The puck style ones have more adjustments.

gcart2
09-15-2007, 07:14 AM
look.... im a kid... 14 paying for everything through my pocket. i am doing mx. i rode my bros 450 and its like a Cadillac compared to mine (has a denton stabilizer) . i want something i can stick on there and not have to mess with n e more. i realize this is the real world and u have to take em off and fix em. if i get dentons non ebuildbale hoow long will it last me if i am just a weekend warrior?

09-15-2007, 10:52 AM
it can last a long time or one really hard hit could blow it out after 15 minutesthat is unikely, but a possibilty...

you being a kid like you say, i would not get a rebuildable one because you probably would not be able to rebuild it yourself

gcart2
09-15-2007, 12:33 PM
lol i like how u judge my abilities on my age... i am a mechanio. built my bike from the ground up. what is best rebuild able or non?

09-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
look.... im a kid... . i want something i can stick on there and not have to mess with n e more.

that is what i based my opinion on...so lose your attitude, especially when someone is trying to help you

now, does your mechanical ability and and your access to tools give you the ability to rebuild one of these. all in all, i would rather have a new one than a rebuilt one. i have had the one on my 400ex for 2 years now and it is as good as new so it is not like you will be buying or rebuilding one every month...in the end it is your choice, but the original $40 or $50 just to be able to rebuild one and the time it would take for you to rebuild one is ont cost effective to me...

gcart2
09-15-2007, 02:10 PM
ok no attitude here. so u have a rebuildable or non? i am considering ordering 1 today

450rJam
09-15-2007, 02:38 PM
most sticks are mfg. by same company just diff stickers

heres a pic of my gibson, it was like 139
its rebuildable and 7 click adjustment

I dont notice it at all when riding, until I jump on another quad without one. I have never rode with a puck style but I dont race and cant justify 4-5 hundred for it.

450rJam
09-15-2007, 02:40 PM
forgot pic

gcart2
09-15-2007, 03:31 PM
do you like it? how often do you have to rebuild?

450rJam
09-15-2007, 03:39 PM
have had it for 6 months and no rebuild yet, I rode quite a bit this spring/summer but weather/work have limited my ride time
it has made it through one pretty harsh roll over
(hope not to test it like that too many times)

I do leave it set around 5/6 for my liking

gcart2
09-15-2007, 03:42 PM
cool i think im gonna get 1