PDA

View Full Version : Running without a frame skidplate for MX

quad2xtreme
09-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Just curious how many riders with a quad used only for MX run without a frame plate.

I just got the TM Designs rear swingarm kit so I could remove the stock swingarm skidplate. I am now looking at my 1/8" aluminum frame skid thinking how nice it would be to change oil and wash the quad without a skid.

My only concern is coming down on the frame...I don't think it will be an issue. I just raised the ride height to 8" under the footpegs and 8.5" 18" in front of that. I am running Houser +2.5" LT Sli-cast a-arms with Stadium LT shocks. Had the rear shock converted too. It is now a dual rate setup.

Thanks for the replies...feel free to tell the good and the bad.

trx400exxracer
09-14-2007, 07:51 PM
in mx i wouldn't run an engine ski. But riding any trails or racing XC I would deff. run one!

I have a moose racing engine skid and race XC and there is no need to remove the engine skid plate because it has a hole where the drain bolt is!!!:D

allstock
09-14-2007, 08:16 PM
if you like you pc then get one but dont get a blingstar... they look good but i went through 3 this season and it cost me case as well

mx1791
09-14-2007, 09:07 PM
i dont use one and my frames got giant dents and NO paint left anywhere. im running one next season!!

d3ktrix
09-14-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't run one, but like said above my frame has dents and no paint.

The only part that needs more added support imo is the flat spot on the front part of the frame where the lower a-arms mount.
Mines dented and has one really large gash in it from when I flat landed on a 4" round rock in the middle of the track -_-

IMO tho as long as the track ur riding on doesn't have any rocks, u shouldn't need a skid. At that point all the skid will help is ur powder coat, but the skid it self will wear that off it self.

Its a personal preference =)

chris46250r
09-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Seems to me that running a skid is cheap insurance.

quad2xtreme
09-14-2007, 09:54 PM
final option is to run a plastic skid. I think Maier makes one as well as at least one other company.

I wondered how anyone keeps paint on the frame with the dragging around ruts in the turns...especially if you ride where bikes prevail.

/Jon

quad2xtreme
09-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Tag Metals poly frame skidplate (http://www.tagmetals.cc/atv/productdetails.php?id=skid)

mx1791
09-14-2007, 10:35 PM
my friend puts silicone on his frame before he puts the skid on, and under his frame is as good as new still. the silicone stuff is easy to peel off if u dont want it on there anymore, stops the skid from rattling, and protects your paint

GOTFEAR
09-14-2007, 10:43 PM
are you crazy you haven't cased a jump and the frame rails dig in and the way you go unless your running in a mud bath track

400exrider707
09-15-2007, 06:25 AM
You have to be nuts to run no skids... I run a chassis skid and they help with two things: 1, they keep your frame from being damaged/chipped as well as protect the bottom of your motor cases, I dont know why you would want to leave that area open. 2, they will help the quad glide over the track if you do bottom hard, instead of the frame rails digging in.

I run a pro-armor chassis skid, and it comes with four rubber pieces to put between the frame and skid, no vibration problems here, glad I spent the extra money on the pro-armor skid.

Also there is a hole cut out for engine oil draining, though when it gets to the point where it starts trickling, it catches on the skid and makes a mess.

However there isn't a cutout for the tranny drain on my 450R, so that essentially drains onto the skidplate. I usually take my skid off after every race to clean all the crap out, that is a good time to change the oil as well.

Also not all are like this, but I also run an AC blackline bumper, which covers part of the skid in the front, so to take the skid off, I need to remove the front bumper as well.... might be more tedious to take off, but well worth the extra protection. Just some food for thought.

TRX450RACER174
09-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
You have to be nuts to run no skids... I run a chassis skid and they help with two things: 1, they keep your frame from being damaged/chipped as well as protect the bottom of your motor cases, I dont know why you would want to leave that area open. 2, they will help the quad glide over the track if you do bottom hard, instead of the frame rails digging in.

I run a pro-armor chassis skid, and it comes with four rubber pieces to put between the frame and skid, no vibration problems here, glad I spent the extra money on the pro-armor skid.

Also there is a hole cut out for engine oil draining, though when it gets to the point where it starts trickling, it catches on the skid and makes a mess.

However there isn't a cutout for the tranny drain on my 450R, so that essentially drains onto the skidplate. I usually take my skid off after every race to clean all the crap out, that is a good time to change the oil as well.

Also not all are like this, but I also run an AC blackline bumper, which covers part of the skid in the front, so to take the skid off, I need to remove the front bumper as well.... might be more tedious to take off, but well worth the extra protection. Just some food for thought.

X2 except i have the DC Racer Blingstar Bumper and also have to remove it to take off the skid.

manson98
09-16-2007, 01:27 AM
I run the Blingstar but I am Buying a Rath that is the way to go! The rath only covers the areas you need covered and it also leaves the corners open so you can Drain your oil. You dont have to have the full body skid Just the one that protects your motor. After you have one and then look at the bottom of your bike you'll understand why!

xsr_racing28c
09-16-2007, 08:07 AM
I make a carbon fiber engine skid for the 04-08 Honda 450r's. It is basically just an engine skid similar to Blingstarts MX one, but is obvioulsly lighter and I use rubber grommets for mounting and anti rattle.

I will have pictures up soon, keep an eye out.

Thanks, Jay