PDA

View Full Version : Shocks

hardtrailz400
09-14-2007, 12:17 PM
I am looking to upgrade my suspension on my o3 z400. I cant go any wider or it wont fit in the toyhauler, so I think I am just gonna get shocks. What should I get? Is there anything else I can do to make the suspension work better. I ride almost all trails and dont race it. Any ideas?

jherbie28
09-14-2007, 02:49 PM
im guessing that your front end is stock, you can have them revalved with new springs, make them duel or tripple rate set up. goodluck brother

by the way, what kind of toy hauler do you have? i have a 30' r-wagon feather lite and dont have any problems with 2 full race bikes. how many bikes do you haul

TheNewn
09-14-2007, 04:30 PM
The previous poster is probably thinking about the 2005 and up Z400's with better suspension. You cant re valve and re spring the 03 and 04 shocks, that are just like the 400EX's.

As for suspension, I think TCS makes some very good shocks, from what i've heard. And my dad has fully adjustable Elka's on his Raptor that are pretty nice.

I personally would never buy new shocks that were NOT fully adjustable (compression/rebound). Although high and low speed compression adjustment probably isn't needed unless you're a hard core racer.

Another thing to do to improve handling on that Z400 is maybe look into getting a steering stabilizer. I think you'll notice a pretty big difference.

P.S. ...one last piece of advice...stay away from Works shocks...

Bender
09-14-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't think works shocks are that bad, much, much better than stock ones will ever be. I've had 2 pairs of works shocks with no problems at all,one pair had alot of hard abuse racing XC on a 250R. Works may not be axxis, PeP, Elka etc.. But better than most need. Why bad mouth something and not give your reason, just wondering?

TheNewn
09-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Whoops, you're right, should give a reason.

I just have/had a bad experience with them, they're currently on my 250R (triple rate with rez) and in my opinion they are absolute P.O.S's. In all seriousness i'd rather have stockers, and if i had an extra set, i'd be putting them on in place of them. I notice no difference in performance with them on. If im buying shocks in the future, it will be TCS or Elka

I think spending hundreds of dollars on shocks to NOT have adjustability is a pretty bad move.

jherbie28
09-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
The previous poster is probably thinking about the 2005 and up Z400's with better suspension. You cant re valve and re spring the 03 and 04 shocks, that are just like the 400EX's.

As for suspension, I think TCS makes some very good shocks, from what i've heard. And my dad has fully adjustable Elka's on his Raptor that are pretty nice.

I personally would never buy new shocks that were NOT fully adjustable (compression/rebound). Although high and low speed compression adjustment probably isn't needed unless you're a hard core racer.

Another thing to do to improve handling on that Z400 is maybe look into getting a steering stabilizer. I think you'll notice a pretty big difference.

P.S. ...one last piece of advice...stay away from Works shocks...

good point man i didnt even think about that but if he has a 05 thats probably the best economic way to go.:)

Z-Rider86
09-17-2007, 01:40 PM
I have an 03 KFX and ride almost all trails. I have Works tripple rate with remotes and they work just fine. I think they get a bad rap because they don't cost as much as some of the other makers, which automatically makes them "inferior" to most buyers. If you are not looking to race, yet still upgrade, works shocks will fit your budget and be much better than stock.

jherbie28
09-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Z-Rider86
I have an 03 KFX and ride almost all trails. I have Works tripple rate with remotes and they work just fine. I think they get a bad rap because they don't cost as much as some of the other makers, which automatically makes them "inferior" to most buyers. If you are not looking to race, yet still upgrade, works shocks will fit your budget and be much better than stock.

dont quote me on it but im pretty sure pep uses works design or just about the same shock other then the internals, and springs, uses the shaft:confused: like i said DO NOT quote me on that

VB's Z400
09-17-2007, 11:37 PM
I upgraded my 03 shocks for some shocks off of an LTR450. It was a huge difference over the stockers. They mount easily w/ just some washers on the lower shock mounts. I will eventually have them rebuilt by GT Thunder, but for a cheap upgrade (around $150) they are great. You can probably find other threads on here about the upgrade. Hope this helps.

Dr89
09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
elka, elka, elka, if you have to, just get the dual rates, thats what i have and they are absolutely incredible in the trails! for the money i wouldnt do anything different

other maybe more affordable options would be tcs or works triple rates, i wouldn't get any works other than the triple rates tho, they wont be much different than stock.

if you keep an eye out on ebay you can sometimes find some pretty cheap ohlins, also very sweet shocks.

hardtrailz400
09-19-2007, 09:55 AM
I appreciate the input. I think I will try to find some 450r or ltr450 shocks to save on cost. Plus I dont want to spend too much that I cant get another quad next year.

Thanks everyone

nissin 93
09-22-2007, 04:39 AM
just bought a set of 450r fronts off ebay for250 never seen dirt they were fresh take offs and i cant wait to get them