PDA

View Full Version : The Big Gulp

Quadjunkie
09-14-2007, 08:49 AM
This is a repeated question about how to eliminate the 'gulp' of air that takes place when you tag the throttle from idle. Does anyone know how to remedy this? Does the 450r carb do the same thing? Any info on the concept or solution would be greatly appreciated.

mod440ex
09-14-2007, 09:37 AM
if i am thinking of what you are talking about, that is the sound of power. the more air you get in the more power you have. what kind of airfilter are you using? do you have your airbox lid on or off?

mod440ex
09-14-2007, 09:42 AM
well i answered my own question after reading the sig. the sound you are hearing is from having the k&n on and not having the lid on. plus having thr choke removed adds extra air. and to maybe help you out with the other thread, it sound like your might be running rich. try adjusting the idle air screw.

Pipeless416
09-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by mod440ex
well i answered my own question after reading the sig. the sound you are hearing is from having the k&n on and not having the lid on. plus having thr choke removed adds extra air. and to maybe help you out with the other thread, it sound like your might be running rich. try adjusting the idle air screw.

:huh no.. i think hes talking about when he stabs the throttle it kinda dies out and then picks up the RPMs. it could be a few things. one simple problem could be too low of an idle. beyond that its jetting.

mod440ex
09-14-2007, 12:30 PM
oh i got ya, yeah i would agree check your idle then if that doesnt fix it then go with some jetting. they have a really good explanation under the "articles"section on what chnges what on the carb. you might check that out

Quadjunkie
09-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes I was talking about the die out that happens when you stab the throttle. It's the momentary airy sounding miss, then it picks up. I got it to clean up some after I cleaned out my accelerator pump. Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone know if the 450r carb runs any smoother?

mod440ex
09-14-2007, 01:44 PM
with the mods in your sig i wouldnt worry about it until you get up to at least a 440. you could have the same problem with it. i would start tweaking with the jets and see what happens.

gncc025
09-14-2007, 03:49 PM
i noticed when took the choke off of mine it seemed to help the delay some. its still there but just not as severe.

GOTFEAR
09-14-2007, 10:20 PM
if your motor is stock put a advance key to bump up your timing this will help out