PDA

View Full Version : Starting a super build

dragex400
09-14-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm starting to build a drag machine in about 2 weeks. I have the engine and I have the chassis thats it. I have to clean both up really good before I start. Anyway, here it is, I am putting an acrtic cat 900cc thundercat engine(3 cylinder, 2 stroke) in a honda 250r frame. The frame will have to be extremly altered to hold the engine but should be a good build. I be sure to keep posting progressive pics as I go.

quadrider26
09-14-2007, 12:41 PM
should be an fast quad those motors were good for 160-170hp stock.

why are you going with the 900 instead of the 1000

250Renvy
09-14-2007, 02:51 PM
What year frame? Wouldn't you think a chromoly frame would be better - especially if there is vibration issues with the sled motor.

As much as I hate seeing R frames hacked up, I'd love to see how you do this if the motor is a belt drive.

From what I've seen, banshees tend to be better for this type of machine because of the added motor space.

Groves187
09-14-2007, 04:15 PM
have you figured out how you are going to run the clutch set up?? Should be a sweet project!

born2ride14
09-15-2007, 10:16 AM
u might want to consider using automotive motor monts th keep the vibration down

dragex400
09-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Parts of the chassis are going to be chromoly. I'm using the 900 instead of the 1000 because thats what I have laying around. I'm am going to bore it out to 1000 though. I'm going to do some port work as well. I agree that the banshee frames do have more room in them for the engine but i've seen this done on a banshee before and I really just wanna crush banshees in drag racing. My friend and I already did this to a quadzilla and it runs good. We just use the clutching in the snowmobile engine. With different wieghts, springs, and helicals you set the engine to shift whenever you want.
Automotive mounts maybe a good Idea, I'm going to have to see what I have going on with the r frame and what its gonna need. I just split the engine this past weekend. I need a new crank already. I believe the frame is either and 88 or 89, i'm not sure but if my memory serves me right thats what it is. I'm hoping to get 200hp out of this thing when its all said and done.