PDA

View Full Version : NGK plug question

dirtycj5
09-13-2007, 04:57 PM
will a B8EG plug work in the r? my friend gave me a box of plugs
thanks

speedfreek
09-13-2007, 07:00 PM
What plug are you currently running? I run a b8es, it's the same as those. Remember: on NGK plugs, the higher the number the colder the plug.

dirtycj5
09-13-2007, 07:37 PM
im running a br8es right now.
thats the plugs in the yellow box these my friend gave me are in a red box thats says racing competition b8eg

GPracer2500
09-13-2007, 09:11 PM
The missing "R" indicates there's no resistor in the plug to combat electromagnetic interference radiated when the plug sparks. I'm not sure if there's really any consequence to running a non-resistor plug other than screwing with TV, Radio, etc. reception near your quad while it's running. In theory I suppose it could mess with your CDI but that seems pretty unlikely to me.

The difference between an "S" and a "G" is the center electrode. The S is a standard 2.5mm electrode and the G is a fine wire nickel alloy. The G is suppose to be slightly better but I can't say I've ever been able to tell much difference.

wilkin250r
09-13-2007, 11:33 PM
The CDI isn't microprocessor controlled, so I can't imagine any issues there. However, I would be concerned if you were running an aftermarket programmable ignition.

As for the center electrode diffrerence between the "S" and the "G", you're not going to see a seat-of-the-pants difference, especially if your engine is running top-notch.

Fine-wire electrodes will fire better under adverse conditions, but it's hard to put a definition to "better". They should be more resistant to fouling if you're running rich, and they should be able to spark better under higher compression.

I can't give you definitive graphs and proof, but I have done many calculations and analysis of electric fields, and I do know that electrode size makes a significant difference. It's the reason I spend almost $10 apeice on Irridium plugs for my R.

Aceman
09-14-2007, 08:08 AM
I've read somewhere that you should run resistor plugs if you're running lights but you can get away with nonresistor if you're not. I have nothing to back this up with however, since I can't remember where I read it.:rolleyes:

dirtycj5
09-14-2007, 03:01 PM
im running no lights my r is pretty much a bare bones mx quad lol

deathman53
09-14-2007, 03:50 PM
I have a box of br9eg plugs, I used to use b8es, I switched to br9es iridium plugs, those things are really hard to foul. Almost 8 months on the same plug and it perfect.

GOTFEAR
09-14-2007, 10:07 PM
i have ran the same plug had no problems in my 350r