PDA

View Full Version : KTM Recall and Fix

MessinaRacePrep
09-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Sorry to re-hash but something is wrong with the site and it would not let me respond.

My Dealer:
Told me the part (the entire brake caliper) was being shipped from magura and the entire unit was being replaced. The quad will be available on 09/25.

My source:
The small part (300 of them total) were being shipped from KTM or Magura in Europe yesterday or the day before. I cannot clarify if the small part is just going to be replaced at the dealer or the entire brake caliper.

Either way KTM has their #$%^ together and is making it right. Apparently the part breaks or can break at 20 or so hours of operation. It is NOT a safety or performance issue. The part is also known to fail when servicing is done on the rear brake caliper. I am not 100% sure of what exactly it is as I have not seen the part.

The person that gave me the information is in the industry AND very reliable. He called his connection at KTM and verified it.

Again,
let me stress this is not a safety or performance issue it is just a small part that is failing ie not meeting KTMs standards.

And no I dont work for KTM!! LOL

CARNUTVIC will you email me please....

messinaraceprep@hughes.net

Max

ccrider24
09-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Any more info on this issue??? I want to pick mine up!!!!!! Need to get it dialed in for Yadkinville!!!! Any additional info other than Yah it's like super duper cool and will definately be my next bike when I sell my blaster, would be beneficial to those ready to buy right now.

Thanks....CCRIDER

ccrider24
09-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Talked to my dealer today, and he pretty much confirmed that there is a problem, they are redesigning the caliper mount, and should have the part to swap out within the next two weeks, they (KTM) built a limited initial production of about 300 units to sell to consumers and see if there were any problems that didn't turn up in their durability testing, I guess it's easier to fix 300 units than 3000, I just hate being the guinea pig, but it's for the best I guess, word is that 2 different people have broken this part, and therefore requires a redesign, I haven't seen what it looks like, but the dealer explained over the phone while looking 2 mine, that it looks to be a billet piece, not cast. i think that's a good thing, as it would probably take longer to manufacture new parts if they were cast, billet parts can be whipped out in a few days on CNC equipment. So hopefully I will get the piece for mine before Yadkinville, so i can race it there!!!

Patiently waiting.....CCRIDER

ccrider24
09-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Talked to my dealer today, and he pretty much confirmed that there is a problem, they are redesigning the caliper mount, and should have the part to swap out within the next two weeks, they (KTM) built a limited initial production of about 300 units to sell to consumers and see if there were any problems that didn't turn up in their durability testing, I guess it's easier to fix 300 units than 3000, I just hate being the guinea pig, but it's for the best I guess, word is that 2 different people have broken this part, and therefore requires a redesign, I haven't seen what it looks like, but the dealer explained over the phone while looking @ mine, that it looks to be a billet piece, not cast. i think that's a good thing, as it would probably take longer to manufacture new parts if they were cast, billet parts can be whipped out in a few days on CNC equipment. So hopefully I will get the piece for mine before Yadkinville, so i can race it there!!!

Patiently waiting.....CCRIDER

TheNewn
09-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Its not a Safety or a Performance issue if your rear brakes fail after 20 hours? What if you...you know...NEED the rear brakes and the mount of whatever it is brakes as you try to use it?

Maybe im just not understanding what part is wrong.

svtbolt04
09-29-2007, 02:57 AM
Anyone have an idea on when the part will be shipped to dealers? I have a bike on hold that I cant sign papers for until this is resolved.