PDA

View Full Version : Question about K & N air filter?

Helix
09-12-2007, 08:46 PM
I finally got all my upgrades installed but when I got to the new K&N air filter I had a problem...this thing doesn't fit! The filter itself is to long to slide up in the intake to sit down in that little notch like deal the stock filter fit so comfortably in.

Do I have to modify the filter or order some sort of an adapter or something?

Thanks!

Stock air box btw...

oleboy87
09-12-2007, 09:01 PM
any pics of the filter? i have the k&n and it fits directly into the notch thing! its a direct replacement of the stocker... you may have bought the wrong one!

hornetgod13
09-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Remove the plastic support from the bottom of the air box. It will snap right off with a pair of pliers.

04TRX400EX
09-12-2007, 10:46 PM
There is a stock-size K&N direct replacement filter available. I ran into the same problem when I put a K&N on my dad's 400EX -- the box from K&N said that it was for a Honda 400EX but the filter it self was approximately 1" longer than my K&N that fits perfectly. My dealer ended up ordering another filter from K&N three more times before I finally got the right one. K&N was unaware that they had a packaging problem. You may be in the same boat. You shouldn't have to modify anything.

gcart2
09-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
Remove the plastic support from the bottom of the air box. It will snap right off with a pair of pliers.

yep yeep.

Helix
09-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info...I don't feel like going through all the ordering stuff. So I'll probably snap the little support thingy's off.