PDA

View Full Version : coolant in crank

skyhighatv
09-12-2007, 02:13 PM
is there any other reason besides a bad head gasket that coolant would get into the crank area?

fireburns99
09-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by skyhighatv
is there any other reason besides a bad head gasket that coolant would get into the crank area?

I would say a bad base gasket not head gasket. From my own personal experience, when the head gasket goes it over pressurizes the cooling system,and as a result coolant flows out of the overflow.

I'm not completely sure but i think if the mechanical seal fails it would leak coolant into crankcase. So you may want to check that as well.

atvmxr
09-12-2007, 03:03 PM
not the base gasket. No coolant down there.
If the water pump seal fails there will be coolant in the oil. If the crank seal fails then the oil/coolant mixture could in the crankcase. doubtful that both seals would fail at the same time.

That leaves the head and the jug: cracked head, cracked jug/cylinder, cylinder drifted down in the jug, head gasket

good luck.

Aceman
09-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
not the base gasket. No coolant down there.

What if he's running a pro-x jug? They have 2 allen screws on the bottom that I believe thread into the coolant passages. Just a thought.

skyhighatv
09-12-2007, 09:57 PM
im running stock jug-88 rod,spacer plate,86 68.5mm piston ,thin piece of stock trx gasket,38mm a/s carb and i had a meltdown with 5 hrs on new piston-also there was very little coolant in rad(oversize pwr)and no coolant in oil.

clutch22
09-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
What if he's running a pro-x jug? They have 2 allen screws on the bottom that I believe thread into the coolant passages. Just a thought.

Those are on the inside. of the jug?
mine was leakin some coolant out the base gasket on both sides towards the front of the engine... but idk if it still is or not,.. i've been way busy and havent had time to ride.

Aceman
09-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by clutch22
Those are on the inside. of the jug?

Yes, right under the exhaust flange.