PDA

View Full Version : Job Opportunities ... WOW !!!

Quad18star
09-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Well I've been out of work for the last 3 years now due to an accident so as of last week I got the green light to return back to work . So I get my resume all in order and fire it off to a few places ... first I drop it off at the local Yamaha Dealership which is the largest in our part of the province , then I drop in at the local BRP/Ski-Doo dealer and hand one off there and then I submitted one online to the local CAT dealership.

To my surprise I got a call back from all 3 .:eek2:
So which one would you take ??

Yamaha - Large dealership in town, Benefits , profit sharing , starting wage of around $12 an hour, know the parts manager .... I would be working parts department. 30 minute drive from home. Boss can be a hardarse sometimes. Hrs 8:30-6 Mon-Wed . 8:30am-9pm Thurs-Friday . 10-4 Saturdays

BRP - New dealership, starting wage between $10-15 an hour , 10 minute drive from home ... unsure about benefits. Know a few guys that work there. Boss can be a real B!tch when she wants to be. Hrs same as Yamaha dealership

Toromont CAT - Large CAT dealer in town, benefits , starting wage is a bit higher than the other 2 places , warehouse work ( shipping , receiving, parts inventory). Don't know anyone that works there but they have a good reputation. Hrs Monday to Friday 7am - 6PM . 8am to noon Saturdays. Some shift work for afternoons and weekends. About 15 minute drive from home.

All 3 are willing to work around my college schedule which is pretty simple.

CAT would give me good experience since a lot is mining related and I'm taking mining in College ... but I have very minimal knowledge of the equipment.

The other 2 I'm pretty knowledgeable in the stuff since I dealt with it for numerous years but it doesn't really give me any help in relations to my college program.

I'm just curious to see what you guys would do if you had to make this decision. I'm kind of leaning towards one but haven't set it in stone yet.

honda8&3
09-12-2007, 01:28 PM
CAT Dealer all the way. I absolutely love heavy equipment. Can't wait until I start running them for a living in a few years. Then I would go to the Yamaha dealer.:)

Raptor68
09-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I agree that the CAT dealer seems the way to go.

Villageidiott83
09-12-2007, 01:34 PM
get in with CAT and maybe down the road alil be able to purchase some of their stock option. them and IR are both good options and have increased in the last 5 yrs

ATV Chic
09-12-2007, 01:37 PM
CAT is a company that will be around 20-30 years from now. I'd take that one in a minute!

MX MaNiAc 06
09-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Well u cant make a bad decision. But id say the CAT dealer because u can use that knowledge out of school. But like i said, they all seem like great jobs!

honda8&3
09-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by sexyatvchic
CAT is a company that will be around 20-30 years from now. I'd take that one in a minute!

Prolly longer than that LOL.

bwamos
09-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Agree also.

My vote goes with CAT.

Ghost-Rider
09-12-2007, 03:35 PM
CAT, its a more stable / secure / sure job.Plus over time it will most likely pay more than the others and you probably have no worries of them going anywhere soon.

x.system
09-12-2007, 08:56 PM
CAT will also pay for some collage class's if it is going to benifit them.

07250ex
09-12-2007, 09:12 PM
dude u dont wanna drive 30 minutes to get payed 12 dollars an hour lol my 14 year old friend makes more than that and he gets tips ... he works like 5 minutes away from home

SGA
09-12-2007, 09:19 PM
I would prob say the CAT company, more room for advancement in the long run.

Quad18star
09-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Seems everyone would choose what I was leaning more towards.... the Caterpillar dealership . I have a further interview Monday afternoon .... I'll get a few more details then .

I never thought I'd get 3 calls all within 2 days ... kind of caught me off guard. Hopefully I don't piss off any of the buddies that were pulling a few strings to get me into a few places . lol -:ermm:

Shift_450R
09-12-2007, 11:21 PM
its too bad you dont live in alberta. This summer i worked for an oilfield maintaining company and i was getting $17/hr. Thats pretty good for a 17 year old summer student. but after high school im going in for welding. $100+/hr and little schooling after.

Quad18star
09-13-2007, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Shift_450R
its too bad you dont live in alberta. This summer i worked for an oilfield maintaining company and i was getting $17/hr. Thats pretty good for a 17 year old summer student. but after high school im going in for welding. $100+/hr and little schooling after.

Ya I have a few buddies that went to college out here and then moved out to Alberta a few years back to complete their apprenticeships . All of them are doing work related to the oil fields and are making pretty good coin ( atleast it sure seems like it ... they're all driving new vehicles and have all the little expensive gadgets:p ) . I guess the only trade off to making big wages is the cost of living out there .

My girlfriend and I have talked about heading west , and we haven't ruled it out yet. Once she's done her Teacher's College and I'm done with my college program , we might pack up and head out there for a bit. It's just hard to pack up and leave all our friends and family behind and restart our lives over again.

Villageidiott83
09-13-2007, 07:12 AM
i wouldnt worry to much about the strings pulled by friends. they already have jobs so you gotta do whats best for you and your gf. its a dog eat dog world.

JOEX
09-13-2007, 08:27 PM
With whatever job you choose it looks like you have some back ups if the first choice doesn't work out:)

Just don't burn any bridges;)

Quad18star
09-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
With whatever job you choose it looks like you have some back ups if the first choice doesn't work out:)

Just don't burn any bridges;)

My interview with CAT for this past Monday had to be rescheduled because the woman doing the interview wasn't able to make it into the office that day . I'm supposed to hear back from her this week .

But I started at at the Yamaha dealership today. First day back in a little over 3 years ... sure feels different . Put in a 9 1/2 hour day today and tired as hell tonight.

Still hoping the CAT deals comes to life though . I would rather do something that is more orientated and beneficial to my future career ( and pays a bit better ) ... but right now the bills gotta be paid . :p

Nice discounts on Yamaha , Lund, Bayliner and anything else that can be ordered though. :devil: