PDA

View Full Version : How to put grips on a new set of handle bars??????

400exBro
10-30-2001, 03:07 PM
I just picked up a pair of Renthals Quad racing bend handlebars and was wondering how do you put grips on to the handle bars??

I heard you put friction tape around the handle bars where the grips go then soak em in gasoline and put the grips on and let it dry, is this a good way or is it old school??
thanks for your help
400exBro

"BLAHH"300!!
10-30-2001, 03:19 PM
i'm kidding- that would work fine also-
you could get some sort of glue adhesive and put around the end of the grips--closer to the open end - and slide em' on-
i wouldn't put it all over the bar- couse if you wanted to take em' off id' be hard- 'course you could cut em' but...

10-30-2001, 03:31 PM
IF you never want them to come loose and don't wanna try another chemical type of application. Just pound them on dry,,,you gotta work it on,,but it will go eventually and it won't ever,,,ever come loose,,this is the way I do it,,,tryed the gas,,hairspray,,,grip glue,,,never had good results,,,always came loose but the dry muscling it on there way will work for the life of the grips...:D

400exJOE
10-30-2001, 03:55 PM
I use a WD-40 and let it dry in there. It works very good and use WD-40 and a screw driver to get the grip off.

JabberJaw
10-30-2001, 03:57 PM
The guy at the bike shop used an air nozzle to shoot air in it at the same time he slipped them on, kinda expands them....

riz400
10-30-2001, 04:05 PM
I use the air trick too. By far the best. It was in A Dirt Wheels mag a few months back. I'll have to get the exact month.

kc 300EX
10-30-2001, 04:06 PM
I use Friction tape and gas, works great, those grips aint ever coming off

Tommy 17
10-30-2001, 04:24 PM
i use the air tool trick if ur grips get loose again bc u got some moisture in there hit them wit the air gun again it drys it out in about .01 seconds.

knighttime
10-30-2001, 04:26 PM
Put em on with 2 sided masking tape and lighter fluid. Just like golf grips. Those mofo's will never come lose then. Its the best way with Rico's dry method being second. I have something really funny to say hear but i dont wanna get busted. Its somethin about Rico's dry method and if his ...

If u use gas, u will most likely discolor your grips.

400exBro
10-30-2001, 04:41 PM
Do you dip the friction tape in the gasoline then put it on your bars or do you put the friction tape on the bars then soak them in gas or how do you do it ??????????????????????
thanks
400exBro

knighttime
10-30-2001, 06:11 PM
Wrap the double sided tape everywhere around the bar where the grip goes. Put extra tape around the end of the bar and kinda fold it over the end over the hole. Use a small can of Zippo lighter fluid with the cool flip nozzle. Shoot it out so it goes over the tape. Immediately pour a little in the rubber grip and shake it so it wets the whole inside. Pour the remaining fluid from the grip on the tape and quickly slide the grip over the wet tape. It'll dry overnight and you'll be able to ride in the morning.

crday98
10-30-2001, 11:41 PM
hairspray,it is cheap,and i have yet to have a set come off.