PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of +sizes for a-arms?

FarminLT250R
09-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Well, recently got back into quads, and now I'm looking to fab up a pair of extended a-arms for my quadracer, since all of like two companies offer them. I feel dumb asking this, but my question is when they say +2 or +3 a-arms, does that mean +2 or +3 inches on EACH side, or is that combined? I got the impression its each side, but wanted to be 100% sure before I start designing.

Thanks

00.400ex#55
09-12-2007, 02:04 PM
+2 = 4 insches wider
+3 = 6

svahle
09-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Yep, +2 would be 2 inches on each side for a total of 4 inches wider.

You sometimes see +2/+1 a-arms. This means each side is +2 inches out and and +1 inch forward.

Keep in mind what your wheel off set is. This will also affect your overall width. 4/1 offset wheels are the way to go because they give less feedback from bumps and rocks (less jerking of the bars = better control and less arm pump). Many quads come with 3/2 offset wheels. If you changed to a 4/1 offset wheel the quad would be approximately 1 inch narrower on each side for a total of 2 inches narrower.

Here is what I recomend. Figure out how wide you want your quad. Lets assume your stock quad is 44 inches wide and you want it to be 48 inches wide. Also assume your stock wheels are 3/2 offset. The ideal set up would be to get +3 a-arms (which would make the quad 50 inches wide with the 3/2 offset wheels) and then put on 4/1 offset wheels to "take back" an inch on each side. When all is said and done, your quad will be 48 inches wide (Starting width of 44 inches plus 6 inches added width from a-arms minus 2 inches of width from 4/1 offset wheels)

Probably more information than you wanted, but if your going to do it, do it right.

Also remember, wider a-arms put more leverage on shocks. You'll need shocks set up for the wider a-arms, your weight, riding style and ability.

FarminLT250R
09-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Awesome info! Thanks! It'll mainly be road use, since I travel between farms alot, so +3 is def. no problem.