View Full Version : 50 cc motor

garyg
09-12-2007, 06:38 AM
i recently bought a rolling chassis drx. and ive got a yamaha zuma motor for what i can tell the motors r pretty much the same i was wondering if i could use the hp exhaust n airfilters on this motor or am i just better off just trying to find a used. drx 50 motor to build. im new to the mini quad circle, any advice would help. im not trying to get it to compete at the national level just trying to put something together that my son can run with the pack at the local tt and mx tracks. thanks in advance,
gary

ecmini1
09-12-2007, 06:55 AM
can you e-mail me a picture of the eng. I can tell you if it will work.
ecmini1@yahoo.com

bulldogfallon
09-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Looking the same is one thing, but running the same? no

Find a DRX50 engine or you will be nickel and diming yourself and still probably not perform as well

PM me your number and I will see what I can do to get you a DRX50 engine for that rolling chassis

ecmini1
09-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
Looking the same is one thing, but running the same? no

Find a DRX50 engine or you will be nickel and diming yourself and still probably not perform as well

PM me your number and I will see what I can do to get you a DRX50 engine for that rolling chassis

Exactly

bulldogfallon
09-12-2007, 09:17 AM
I am sure someone on this forum will be able to find you a go fast motor...

garyg
09-12-2007, 02:16 PM
well my dad works for a yamaha dealer and i know the zuma motor can make big horsepower. they have a couple customers that claim theyve gpsd them at over 60 mph with adult riders and have still got bottom end. so i know the potentials there. i was just hoping to get him on the track w/o breaking the bank

bulldogfallon
09-12-2007, 02:22 PM
How old is your rider?

tireman43
09-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Not that I'm trying to knock the zuma motor, but your going to have to break the bank to get that to move to 60mph. As you can see I have a Pred 50 and it's no comparison stock to a DRX 50, and from my experience the Pred is as fast or faster than a zuma. Seasons almost over and the new DRX will fill the Pred. spot in the trailer. To answer you first question though the zuma motor should work just from the little I've read on and almost all the mini parts are interchangeable. Good luck with your quest.

garyg
09-13-2007, 03:52 AM
my son just turned 7 and he can race the 50 class here til hes 9. and by no means do i plan on putting him on a 50 mph quad. hes got a 50 raptor now, that with what little u can do with it its topping out a about 21, 22 mph and hes almost getting lapped by the quicker quads in his class im only guessin but i dont think there doin faster than 35 or so. im just wanting something with power off the start and out of the corners. By the way i really do apreciate all of the feedback im getting on this question. this is why i love motorsports everybody is always willing to help, even the guy sittin beside u at the starting line.

MXfun
09-13-2007, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by tireman43
As you can see I have a Pred 50 and it's no comparison stock to a DRX 50, and from my experience the Pred is as fast or faster than a zuma. Seasons almost over and the new DRX will fill the Pred. spot in the trailer.

Tireman:

Sounds like we have the same idea, two more races with the Predator 50, then it's all DRX. My son will turn 5 soon and is now practicing on the DRX50 I got last week. His only complaint has been the thumb throttle is harder to use. I think he is still a little short for it. He is 46" tall and I have a hard time telling if he is standing on the jumps or not. Anyone rig up any risers for the 50?

Somehow he must have blew one of his stock tires out on a corner, totally flat, but I added air to it and it seems fine. I guess it was not sealed good from the start.

riding4fun
09-13-2007, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by MXfun
[B0

He is 46" tall and I have a hard time telling if he is standing on the jumps or not. Anyone rig up any risers for the 50?

[/B]

I think Marc at Hotquads has done that to some 50's.
1-334-705-0084

bulldogfallon
09-13-2007, 06:51 AM
There are bolt on risers from DRR...

We havr them....they give you about an extra 1 1/2" of height

You can also shave the seat foam down too

The combination of both of these will definately help your boy.

hotquads1
09-13-2007, 07:07 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MXfun
[B]Tireman:

. I think he is still a little short for it. He is 46" tall and I have a hard time telling if he is standing on the jumps or not. Anyone rig up any risers for the 50?

give me a call and I will share some ideas with you on risers, we have done this for some kids and it makes a big improvement in their riding posture. as much as 4" rise while retaining the whole footboard . not just a peg mount.
marc