PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to apartment life

ZSK
09-12-2007, 05:56 AM
I need some tips about adjusting to apartment life while still having the quads. I still live with my folks which means I've got 40 acres to ride on, a large barn to store and work on the quads etc. I've got a 6x12 enclosed trailer lined up to store/transport two quads in. It'll be the simple things that will bother me.

I'm used to pulling the quad in the yard and power washing to my delite. Do you just use car washes and feed the quarter machine?

What do you guys do with old oil from oil changes? I simply store it until winter and burn it off with our brush piles. Not going to be an option.

I guess the same goes for working on my truck or other vehicles. I'm used to being able to change parts in my driveway or rotate the tires on my truck.

I need some tips.

gbcap
09-12-2007, 06:16 AM
I live in an apartment, and its ON the property that i have the garage on but its at the opposite end and its still a PITA to do stuff. my garage is a 5 minute walk or a 30 second drive but i hate starting my truck for 30 seconds worth of driving.

doing work on your truck in the street isn't a big deal. see people do it all the time. more of a pain. and you have to store your tools in the aprt with you or go to your rents house to get them so thats a pain too.

are you close enough to store your stuff at your rents house or are you moving far away?? cause if your close i wold just leave the bikes and all there. two reasons, theft and ease.

ZSK
09-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Won't be close to my folks' house (1200 miles) so everything is going with me. I'd like to rent a house but an apartment is all we can afford right now.

bwamos
09-12-2007, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
What do you guys do with old oil from oil changes? I simply store it until winter and burn it off with our brush piles. Not going to be an option.

Most AutoParts stores will take the old oil at no charge. Napa, O'Reilly's, etc.. I just fill up an old gas can (marked OIL), and have it dumped once in a while.

Eviltanker
09-12-2007, 08:04 AM
[What do you guys do with old oil from oil changes? I simply store it until winter and burn it off with our brush piles. Not going to be an option.]

I take mine to a local garage and dump it in there tank (They have a heat unit that burns old oil) you could look into that.

whiteboycustom
09-12-2007, 08:14 AM
in the military i lived in the barraks on post, so what i did was rented a storage unit to store my bike and other stuff i didnt want in my room, there u have plenty of room to work on something if need be and its locked up and secure

thats my 2 cents

redrocker
09-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Try to find other people to
rent a house with

parkers30
09-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Used oil goes to Advanced Auto.

I feed the car wash, it kind of nice have hot water and soap anyway. Just make sure you aren't pissing off the car wash by making a mess with your extra muddy quad.

For the most part I work on my truck at a buddy's house who lives 15 minutes from my apartment. But I do work on it in the parking lot from time to time. Just remember to check to make sure you are not violating you lease by having the trailer in the lot or by working on your vehicles.

I keep all my tools in the trailer. It is basically my mobile garage. For minor stuff you can work on the four wheeler right in the trailer too.

I have been doing this for 4 years now and I am at school the other half of the time, but I have a house and garage there.

400exrider707
09-12-2007, 10:52 AM
I haven't adjusted well... I went from acreage and sand pits to middle of suburbia he!! My quad is now stored at my uncles house with my tools in a very nice race car garage, but its almost an hour away... one way. I am however closer to a lot more tracks, however I have to drive an hour one way to get the quad before I can go anywhere. I've been here less than a year and have become good buds with a couple guys here at work, and we are now looking at renting a house together, so hopefully can be back with my quad again! I miss it so!:(

tim colston
09-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I haven't adjusted well... I went from acreage and sand pits to middle of suburbia he!! My quad is now stored at my uncles house with my tools in a very nice race car garage, but its almost an hour away... one way. I am however closer to a lot more tracks, however I have to drive an hour one way to get the quad before I can go anywhere. I've been here less than a year and have become good buds with a couple guys here at work, and we are now looking at renting a house together, so hopefully can be back with my quad again! I miss it so!:(

You can keep that nice quad at my house. It would be taken care of and only an 8 hr drive 1 way to pick it up.

I have plenty of room

:devil:

03warriorrider
09-12-2007, 07:07 PM
walmart takes back old oil to

Doober
09-12-2007, 07:15 PM
yea dude im adjusting to apartment life also...but you wouldn't believe the rules i have here.
1. no alcohol even if your over 21
2. no one can be in your apartment except the leaser from 12-6
3. no overnight guests
4. cant work on my car in the parking lot
but other then that it aint to bad...and the rules are so harsh cause its through my college...

ZSK
09-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Doober
yea dude im adjusting to apartment life also...but you wouldn't believe the rules i have here.
3. no overnight guests
but other then that it aint to bad...and the rules are so harsh cause its through my college...

Those were basically the rules for my dorm through college. Just so you know even though it's a "dry campus" ours had as much alcohol as most off campus housing. ;)

I'm moving in an apartment with my Fiance (Park can you beleive I'm actually engaged?:eek2: ) and which apartments we decide on will know the trailer will be there from the get go.

gbcap
09-13-2007, 06:38 AM
3. no overnight guests

i wouldn't have signed that lease. fawk those rules. that is complete BS. i didn't even follow much less strict rules in college much less when i am paying more money to live on my own.

are you living in an nunery???

NacsMXer
09-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by gbcap
i wouldn't have signed that lease. fawk those rules. that is complete BS. i didn't even follow much less strict rules in college much less when i am paying more money to live on my own.

are you living in an nunery???

hahaha LMAO :p I wonder if they charge for the air he breathes as well :blah:

parkers30
09-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
Those were basically the rules for my dorm through college. Just so you know even though it's a "dry campus" ours had as much alcohol as most off campus housing. ;)

I'm moving in an apartment with my Fiance (Park can you beleive I'm actually engaged?:eek2: ) and which apartments we decide on will know the trailer will be there from the get go.

Yeah it is hard to believe, but I'm pretty sure I saw that somewhere before. She must be a good lady.

Good luck on the move, Florida right? what is behind that leap?

ZSK
09-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Simply put, Jobs. She was down there for a week and had four teaching jobs offered to her and took one. Hopefully I'll have the same luck. Here sister is only about 15 mins away from her school so that was another main reason.

parkers30
09-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Very understandable. I don't think MI is much of a place for anyone to be starting a career right now. Especially if you aren't in the Big 3.

Good luck. I am starting on my search for a fulltime job also, looks fairly promising so far.

07250ex
09-13-2007, 02:17 PM
3. no overnight guests
cause its through my college...

those are the best two parts of college!:devil:

Quad18star
09-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Apartment life sucks ... mainly because you're paying so much in rent to pay off someone elses mortgage ... and in the end you have nothing to show for it.

I lasted 10 months in an apartment before I told my girlfriend that enough was enough. We lived in a College neighbourhood so most of the tenants were college kids that partied late into the night , my car got broken into , I had no storage other than a 6x6 room and I couldn't do any mechanical work in the parking lot . When we decided to get out of the apartment , my parents were getting ready to move out of their house . Basically we came to a Rent-To-Own agreement with them . We still pay "rent" and utilities , but any rent money goes onto the mortgage payment.

Works out great for us. We have a house with a nice size garage all for less than what we paid for rent in the apartment.

Doober
09-13-2007, 06:41 PM
yea i forgot they also do a monthly inspection. The good thing is they tell you when they are inspectings o i probably wont follow follow rules 2 and 3, im not a big drinker and i come home on weekends so i can work on my stuff at home.. but the plus side is i didnt have to buy any furniture it was all supplied and thats the only plus.

cbrooks118
09-14-2007, 08:08 AM
i had a friend in college that used to ride a crotch rocket, he could work on it in the parking lot, so he worked on it in the living room. lol it was hilarious to see people walk by an realize he was changing oil in his living room. Lets juts say he lost his deposit! In the winter months he had this old cadillac his grandmother left to him, so he would drive that. The caddy leaked oil in the parking lot, so the apartment manager told him that it could stay there, so he parked it in the grass. The old guy would come and tell him to move it, but my friend would only park it on another part of the grass. That thing had an icechest permanetly mounted in the backseat for our beer runs. awww the memories