PDA

View Full Version : gas leak

CarGuy7a
09-11-2007, 07:53 PM
i have a gas leak coming from the drain hose at the bottom of the bowl. it's not a constant flow just a little wet at the end of the hose and dripping.

i checked the drain screw to see if it maybe it came loose. it's still tight.

could i maybe have overtightened the drain screw and messed up the end causing it to leak a little?

my dad said it may be the float sticking or the needle seat worn.

also what is the little metal tube in the bowl for? is it a gas level overflow? if it is could that be were the fuel is coming from?

Groves187
09-11-2007, 08:08 PM
your dad is correct! Check the needle and seat and the float.

onefast400ex
09-11-2007, 08:13 PM
I had the same problem with my yfz. The needle/pin connected to the float would let the float get stuck. I took the needle/pin out cleaned it and sprayed wd-40 and the problem went away. Or try to just ride it around and hit the carburetor a few times to try and get it unstuck. Try and hit the carb first, you might get lucky and save yourself some time.

-Andrew

CarGuy7a
09-12-2007, 06:35 PM
i'm just wandering will race gas eat away a little at the rubber tip on the needle seat? maybe that's what happened because i'm running VP Red 105 with some 92 pump. i have ran it in it b4 but that was about a 2 years ago. just a thought.

well i do know that the float works. or at least it worked last time i rejetted which was about 2 months ago. it may have a little groove worn in the seat though.

oldschool73
09-12-2007, 08:46 PM
read this thread it will answer your question.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=287977

dariusld
09-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
try tightening the drain screw as said above and if that don't fix it you may either need a new bowl or something is up with the screw because the hose on the bottom of the carb is just a drain hose not an overflow.

Tell that to your dad.

dariusld
09-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Groves187
your dad is correct! Check the needle and seat and the float.

Did you read the thread. Can someone tell me what the needle and seat and the float have to do with the drain???????:rolleyes:

oldschool73
09-13-2007, 07:36 PM
my bets are it's coming out the overflow tube not the bowl drain. if it was the bowl drain tube put a plug in it and problem solved. That would be the simplest fix . but I don't think this is the case.

CarGuy7a
09-13-2007, 07:55 PM
well actually i looked in my clymer and it said the little metal tube in the bowl is a float level drain tube. so if the fuel level is too high in the bowl then it will come out the drain hose. after riding i can look at the drain hose and it's wet with gas about a half inch on the end of it and i can see a spot on the floor where it drips. it may be possible that i tightened the screw too tight and cracked something in there causing it to leak a little.

but i'm gonna pull it off tomorrow and check it out.

oldschool73
09-14-2007, 03:34 PM
If you ride a lot of wheelies it will drain out the overflow tube as well. mine was a needle and seat problem and the seat is not replaceable on my 03 400ex a rebuild did not fix it , but a new carb did.

CarGuy7a
09-14-2007, 05:03 PM
yeah i took it apart today everything looked fine. float was not stuck. float height looked good. needle seat showed really no signs of wear.

soo. i called the service department at the local Honda dealer. they said that a little bit was normal. they said that they haven't seen a 4 wheeler yet that didn't do it. he said it was normal as long as it's not a solid stream shootin out.

so i put it back together and ran it.

MO-EX-RIDER
09-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
Did you read the thread. Can someone tell me what the needle and seat and the float have to do with the drain???????:rolleyes:

mine was leaking after a ride and i removed the entire lower part of carb and shot carb cleaner on the floats and moved them up and down then reassembled and problem went away........sometimes they just stick a little to fill the bowl enough to drain out the hose

dariusld
09-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by MO-EX-RIDER
mine was leaking

My what, was leaking?