PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil after rebuild??

Flyin-Low
09-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Threw a new piston, rings, wrist pin and clips in the 450 before I put it all back together. The cylinder walls still looked good and had lots of crosshatchings left.

But I had everything ready to go and took it for a quick little run up and down my road. I must not have put the hose that runs from the water pump to the thermostat on well enough and it blew off.. since it was dark I didn't notice untill I got back and there was no coolant left.

I just put the quad back, and waited until morning to fix it all up and break it in..

But even after my usual break in it still smokes quite a bit on start up and burns a noticeable amount of oil after riding for a few hours..

Think the oil ring is fried, the walls glazed over or something??

-Martin

d3ktrix
09-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Did u scatter the gapped areas in the rings when u installed them?

Rulz
09-12-2007, 06:38 AM
Oil ring on upside down?? Possibly the rings not installed properly to?? When I do a top end rebuild I always ball hone the cylinder, no matter how good the cross hatch looks. I also take the cylinder and wash in warm soapy water and clean the piss out of it. Then wipe it down with a white cloth to ensure no metal is still there. This is critical because if you do not remove all the small metal particles that form in the cross hatch area, your new rings have less of a chance to "cut in" and thus giving you a good seal.

Another thing I do is assemble the top end dry, no oil anywhere except on the wrist pin. When there is oil present on a new build, the rings will not cut in as well. Remove the spark plug after the top end is assembled and kick over the motor 50 times hard. Put plug in, fill with oil and your good to go.

This dry build method has been around for many decades and used by top engine builders in many different racing applications with great success.

sandmanblue
09-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
Threw a new piston, rings, wrist pin and clips in the 450 before I put it all back together. The cylinder walls still looked good and had lots of crosshatchings left.

But I had everything ready to go and took it for a quick little run up and down my road. I must not have put the hose that runs from the water pump to the thermostat on well enough and it blew off.. since it was dark I didn't notice untill I got back and there was no coolant left.

I just put the quad back, and waited until morning to fix it all up and break it in..

But even after my usual break in it still smokes quite a bit on start up and burns a noticeable amount of oil after riding for a few hours..

Think the oil ring is fried, the walls glazed over or something??

-Martin

My first thought is that you should have cleaned up the cylinder by sanding lightly before putting it together. You'll still see crosshatch even when the bore is "clogged" from the old rings filling in the gaps from the original honing procedure. You need to clean that out or the new rings might never seal. I'm very apprehensive about ball honing only because it can eat away the plating on the bore. The coating is very hard, but it can be removed with honing if you're not careful.

If that isn't it, then ring installation could be the problem.

Beyond that, you'd have to look at valve guides/seals. You'd get more smoke on decel with the guides being worn.

09-12-2007, 01:49 PM
How long was your ride? Did you over heat it and damage something?

wayfastwhitey69
09-12-2007, 02:16 PM
i noticed just since i got a cam mines harder on oil

Elduner
09-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Where the rings gapped at?

Did you coat the cylinder with some oil?

Every time I have built a top end I usually give the cylinder a little coat of oil so its not dry and to help with ring installation. The result of that is usually some oil burning at first....

Did you roll a ring? even with a ring rolled it will run but smoke like a train... have seen that happened before... a friend argued with me that if the ring was rolled it would not start... well it started, ran and smoked like a person sending out smoke signals for help....

More info.

Elduner
09-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by wayfastwhitey69
i noticed just since i got a cam mines harder on oil

sure the motor revs nicer,,, but to waste oil would only mean that your vavle seals maybe?

I have ran my Baldwin 14.1 for two seasons now of drag racing and duning and I dont waste any oil.... well maybe a few drops but not enough to where I have to refill on my duning weekend...