PDA

View Full Version : Linkage clearance issues? Protection!

tank69
09-11-2007, 02:49 PM
UPDATE
I should have called PRM first and then posted, but why put the horse in front of the cart? :D Basically, the link I posted is the best protection you will get when it comes to linkage protection. If they were to build a box that protected the linkage, it would hang down so low that it would get hung up on everything. It'll be here on Friday.

It's an 05 TRX, Elka LT shock and Linkage. The linkage hangs down about a few feet from the stock unit and that causes me some concern since I'm racing desert and ride mostly in rocky areas.

PRM makes this, but offers no protection to the linkage. Other forums are telling me they cut the linkage protection off PRM/AC/Pro-Armor/etc. skid plates or the same with the stock.

http://prm-atv.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=1637&from=90&mfr=2

From the pic attached, it looks that the linkage is far enough forward that it won't take much of a beating. From the looks of my stock skidplate, the majority of the impact is near the bearing carrier section of the swingarm. So with that said and from your personal experience, what do I do?

Leave the linkage exposed and run the stocker with the stock linkage protection cut out?

or

Try to find a skid plate that protects the linkage?

http://www.tank69.com/images/e7.JPG

09-11-2007, 03:20 PM
prm makes a skid for aftermarket linkages...i had one and sold it when i thought i was selling my 450r...then i decided to keep the r and my dealer ended up ordering me the regular skid. i cut it. it don't really take much of a beating where it is at...i also cut my armadillo swinger skid on my wifes 400ex

d3ktrix
09-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Ive been linking about getting the elka link with an LT motowoz but my main concern was how low it hangs.
When I ride trails with my GTT link and the stock skid plate cut out around it, I do nail rocks pretty bad with it sometimes. And the link has some nice groves/flat spots in it.

And the GTT link is one solid chunk of alum where the elka is a dual with the joint right in the front where all the stuff would be hitting it so I dunno if i like that.
And by looking how low that hangs I doubt any skid would cover it.

I doubt it would be any problem for MX, but any XC riding with rocks might mess it up pretty good.
Plus even if it can take a beat, hitting large rocks with the link can shoot ur rear end right into the air and then off the trail into the woods. lol

Dave400ex
09-11-2007, 03:35 PM
You'll have to cut your skid or get the PRM. It just hangs to low, most of them do. My linkage is beat up pretty good after the Penn. GNCC but it will happen. Good thing about the Elka is the front piece is steel.

Lonestar_R
09-11-2007, 06:08 PM
I just ordered a PRM Freestyle Skid for my LTR. I am going to run a GT Thunder Link with it. The aftermarket links are too long to fit under the skids. I had to space my PRM out on my 06 450R for my Derisi Linkage. I don't like Laz's rotor guard cause they are known to crack so I was going to get the PRM Freestyle skid and cut it in half and run a GT Thunder sprocket guard but I think the ground clearance issues are gone with this new PRM skid, Being that there is no box to encase the linkage.