PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions???

ZJTurbo
09-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Whats up guys my name is Ben I am 19 and I just recently purchased a 07' 400ex. I have been doing alot of riding in the past 5 monthes and I am looking to do some upgrades.

From What i have searched and read I think I have a good parts list:

HMF full exhaust
Jet kit
Intake
Hot cams stage one

Now realistically what HP gains am I looking at with those mods?? 5hp, 10hp??

I have also started jumping an was wondering how you guys set your suspension. Right now I have my front shock set on 4 (stiff)
and my rar real soft. I have notced the bike like to stand straight up in the air?? Is it me being new or a comb. of suspension and me being new?

Also I have killed my factory tires. Looking for a good tire. Same size as factory that has a real hard compound. I ride mostly sand but hit a little bit of it all, cement, mud, rock, woods. Thanks, sorry for al the questions.

-Ben

:confused: :confused:

gcart2
09-11-2007, 03:16 PM
firsst off you cannot change the stiffness on the front shocks. if you read the stockie above it talks about 450 shocks on 400. cheap and a good idea. parts minue sounsds good. stay away from k&n filter. sucks in a lot of dust and dirt. stick with foam.

oleboy87
09-11-2007, 03:18 PM
you will deff notice a difference with those mods if installed correctly... and as far as the tires i say holeshot or razr's... holeshot is a lil bit cheaper! and for the sand, i have sandstar and i would recommend to anyone!

XXXRACER165
09-11-2007, 03:27 PM
If you need Good shocks check out www.worksperformace.com

09-11-2007, 03:32 PM
you should do suspension before any performance mods...what good is the extra hp if you can't use it? the stock suspension is already behind the motors power so why add to the problem.

suspension wise, i would go with the gt thunder link and re-valve of the rear shocks. i would also pick up a set of good 450r front shocks and have them revalved and most likely, re-sprung. that will make a world of difference. you will be som much faster than before.

for tires, i would suggest razr 2 all around. i have the irazr rears and they are the best tire i have ever had, but they wear fast and if you have gone through the stock tires in 5 months, then the irazrs will go even faster.

your mods sound good, but do not get one of the dynojet kits(also rebranded as fmf, k&n, and just about any other jet kit offered)...get one from here:
http://www.jetsrus.com/main_page.htm
make sure to read their FAQ sections on jets and jetting. it is very informative

oleboy87
09-11-2007, 03:36 PM
ive had my holeshots for a long time now and they last a very long time!

dariusld
09-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
firsst off you cannot change the stiffness on the front shocks.

Wutch u talkin bout ,Willis?

ZJTurbo
09-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
Wutch u talkin bout ,Willis?

I was thinking the same thing? Anyways thanks for all the info! Now time to do some shopping!

-Ben

CarGuy7a
09-11-2007, 07:25 PM
you can adjust the front spring preload. not the compression and rebound.

Eviltanker
09-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Unless you are planning to mod the motor more (dispacement, cam, etc.) you will be good with just a slip-on. Nix the K&N for a twinair or uni foam filter (both pretty good). Either honda 450R shocks or YFZ 450R shocks (I run these) will improve your ride for what you do.

ZJTurbo
09-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Eviltanker
Unless you are planning to mod the motor more (dispacement, cam, etc.) you will be good with just a slip-on. Nix the K&N for a twinair or uni foam filter (both pretty good). Either honda 450R shocks or YFZ 450R shocks (I run these) will improve your ride for what you do.

Would I need to jet with these modifications?? Thanks

-Ben

09-12-2007, 02:26 PM
you will need to rejet with any change in airflow...whether it be better flowing exhaust or a less restirctive intake

CarGuy7a
09-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by ZJTurbo

HMF full exhaust
Jet kit
Intake
Hot cams stage one

that sounds like a pretty good setup. i have the same except for the exhaust and i noticed quite a bit more in the seat. after i got used to the mods i hopped on my buddy's 400 which he only has it jetted with a filter and slip on and his felt a bit slower.