PDA

View Full Version : Oil swapping sides, hot rod crank

hendershot106
09-11-2007, 07:47 AM
- crank went out this spring-- had replaced with new cylinder, 13.5:1 je, new cylinder, new hot rods crank, all new gasket kit A and B- within 10 hrs on rebuild - engine started dumping oil from clutch side to crank side--and blowing out breather- almost all of clutch side oil in a motos time-carefully measured volumes to check for sure- all oil was transferring to crank side- tore motor down: replaced crank seals (one was marred from installation) - ran motor less than 1 hr- again- had to drain oil from crank side and fill clutch side every moto (only ran one race) -still blowing oil rapidly from breather- then had honda shop tear down completely again to inspect everything- hot rods crank was in spec- piston,, cylinder of course- in spec all new,,, examined cases-- small nicks from before- found small high low spot with straight edge- had them clean off high spot- recheck ( nonconformity by oil pump) reassemble with all new gaskets, crank seals,, reinstall - ran less than a half an hour. STILL swaps oil.- still blowing out breather rapidly- in fact it makes a great chain oiler!!--- all jokes aside though--

anyone with THIS experience??? any ideas??/ it is an 06 motor converted to kicker with all elec start items removed- cam piston, crank,, hinson basket,, alllllll new gaskets and seals??

no bashing either- i am extremely frustrated and broke trying to keep this bike racing and i dont have time to listen to ppl fight.

hendershot106
09-11-2007, 08:15 AM
i also called the customer service technician at hot rods cranks-- ( he has had no complaints of this kind ----

gui96
09-11-2007, 11:16 AM
I think you install the oil seal the wrong way, very easy on the 06-07

I tink the side with the metal , go on the outside

hendershot106
09-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by gui96
I think you install the oil seal the wrong way, very easy on the 06-07

I tink the side with the metal , go on the outside

;) ;) ;)
its on their correct.. the last three sets of them;

Jersey450R
09-11-2007, 11:45 AM
crank seal on clutch side is gone. buddies happened twice.

sandmanblue
09-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by hendershot106
- crank went out this spring-- had replaced with new cylinder, 13.5:1 je, new cylinder, new hot rods crank, all new gasket kit A and B- within 10 hrs on rebuild - engine started dumping oil from clutch side to crank side--and blowing out breather- almost all of clutch side oil in a motos time-carefully measured volumes to check for sure- all oil was transferring to crank side- tore motor down: replaced crank seals (one was marred from installation) - ran motor less than 1 hr- again- had to drain oil from crank side and fill clutch side every moto (only ran one race) -still blowing oil rapidly from breather- then had honda shop tear down completely again to inspect everything- hot rods crank was in spec- piston,, cylinder of course- in spec all new,,, examined cases-- small nicks from before- found small high low spot with straight edge- had them clean off high spot- recheck ( nonconformity by oil pump) reassemble with all new gaskets, crank seals,, reinstall - ran less than a half an hour. STILL swaps oil.- still blowing out breather rapidly- in fact it makes a great chain oiler!!--- all jokes aside though--

anyone with THIS experience??? any ideas??/ it is an 06 motor converted to kicker with all elec start items removed- cam piston, crank,, hinson basket,, alllllll new gaskets and seals??

no bashing either- i am extremely frustrated and broke trying to keep this bike racing and i dont have time to listen to ppl fight.

I had a hard time understanding which side of the seal faces which direction when I first installed mine. I know you said they were installed right all three times, but unless you have a major issue with the cases being fubar'd, then there are only so may places the oil can get through. The counterbalancer seal and the crank seal are the only two places you could have a blow through leak like that (unless I'm missing something).....

Who did the seal installations? If it was the same person every time, then maybe that's the problem..... If you didn't check the counterbalance seal, maybe there's the problem....

hendershot106
09-11-2007, 12:58 PM
i had a different shop perform the rebuild the first time,, my honda shop the last two times apart. The last time, last week, we even had someone else(retired honda mechanic) come in and look at it--- used a straight edge checked the cases and everything else---- there was a slight high low spot and they cleaned it up---- its really looking like i will have to just bite the bullet and replace both left and right side cases.

hendershot106
09-11-2007, 01:01 PM
just called honda shop--- they installed brand new counterbalancer seal last week. ??????????

sandmanblue
09-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by hendershot106
just called honda shop--- they installed brand new counterbalancer seal last week. ??????????

If the seals are not the problem, then it's either the cases not sealing with the gasket, or one of the cases (maybe both) were damaged/cracked during the crank failure.... I suppose a crack might only show up once the engine warms up or gets put under a load when running.... Too much guessing for me....

With all the hassles you've gone through, maybe the best thing to do is buy new cases and be done with it....

hendershot106
09-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by sandmanblue

With all the hassles you've gone through, maybe the best thing to do is buy new cases and be done with it....

that is what i have decided. it may take a while though.