PDA

View Full Version : broke oil filter cover bolt off in case

47501exracer
09-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Last year I broke one of the bolts that hold the oil filter cover off inside the case. It is about the last 1/4-3/8 inch of threaded bolt that broke off. How in the world can I get the broken piece outta there? It's about 2-3 inches deep in the hole. I can get what's left of the bolt to hold the cover on a little, but I have duct tape(LOL) hoding the cover on so the oil doesn't leak out. Thanks!

medicdude
09-10-2007, 10:45 PM
i did the same thing, theyre very soft bolts. what i did was get a sharp pic, and a hammer, try to tap it in the counterclockwise direction til you can grab it with needlenose, and get it out. good luck man!

skott1576
09-11-2007, 04:28 PM
i ended up splitting the case and was able to spin it out with a pair of plyers but it was also during my rebuild and my motor was out

mat1977
09-11-2007, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by medicdude
i did the same thing, theyre very soft bolts. what i did was get a sharp pic, and a hammer, try to tap it in the counterclockwise direction til you can grab it with needlenose, and get it out. good luck man! [/QUOTE I did the exact same thing!Take your time and replace both bolts.

project400ex19
09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
this requires some patience and a little bit of skill. get yourself a small drill bit and get an easy out. drill bit size depends on the size of the easy out. these work wonders. At least the bold snapped instead of the threads stripping...like one of my head bolts.:mad:

Farabomb
09-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Like stated above, ezout is the way to go. Sears has a nice little kit that should cover any bolt on the quad. Use a punch to dimple the bolt to keep the drillbit centered. That, some PB blaster and time and it should come out.

If not, keep going up on the drill sizes untill the bolt is always gone. At best you'll only slightly screw up the threads. At worst you'll have to put a coil to replace the threads.