PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a 400ex for XC

shadowwalker
09-10-2007, 03:15 PM
I just inherited my dads 400 after we sold two of our other quads. I am moving up from a 300ex, and need a starting point. I will give you some background on what we typically ride. I do not race, but I would describe what we ride as similar to XC racing.

My grandma lives in Kentucky and there are miles of wooded trails that open up into fields, and then into some wide paths, then into the woods again, etc. We also go to the badlands in indiana to ride dunes on occasion, but I can deal with lesser performance there, as we primarily ride things similar to the above.

Right now the 400 is pretty much stock, other then some PRM sidebars and we went down a tooth on the gearing up front. I have an HMF Ballance pro full system coming.

What are a few things I should look into upgrading now? I was thinking of getting the K&N airbox lid. Anything major will have to come towards winter most likely, because I will have more money then. I am mainly looking for worthwhile parts that are between 100 and 200 dollars right now to get me started.

Thanks.

trx400EXtreme
09-10-2007, 03:24 PM
id say with the money you have now you could get a nice bumper. or maybe some tires, but if your stock ones have alot of tread then they will do fine until they wear down to nothing.

coryatver
09-10-2007, 03:59 PM
I would put the stock front sprocket back on especially since you are putting an exhuast on it it will be geared way to low. It will pull the gears fine and you won't have to shift as much. Then I would just save up for some front shocks becuase the stock front shocks are junk

shadowwalker
09-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
id say with the money you have now you could get a nice bumper. or maybe some tires, but if your stock ones have alot of tread then they will do fine until they wear down to nothing.

I have razrs on it now. they have a decent tread left. I could probably use some stronger wheels though. I have been looking at bumpers, I'm just not sure which one I like at the moment.

I will put the stock sprocket back on if it is too low.

Hondamaster5505
09-10-2007, 05:19 PM
1. Jet it (obviously) $3.00
2. 450r front shocks (alot cheaper than aftermarket) $100-150
3. EHS Airbox lid $??
4. Hotcams stage 1 or 2 $100
5. Sparks Advance key $20.00

I personally am getting a hotcams stage 2 soon because im making mine more of a top end screamer. Like a yfz
(top end pipe/top end cam)

Those mods will help you alot though.

Thats more than your budget, but start with the shocks, and as you get more money, go down the list and get the next thing.

Hope i helped.
-Eric

JDMThoughts
09-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Jet kit for your bike, EHS air lid is cheaper and nicer than the K&N mine was 80 dollars. Sparks timing key is 15 bucks. 450R shocks are a nice upgrade as well. I would start there. Hotcams stage one is nice and sparks XD1 cam both can run stock valvetrain.

Hondamaster5505
09-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by JDMThoughts
Jet kit for your bike, EHS air lid is cheaper and nicer than the K&N mine was 80 dollars. Sparks timing key is 15 bucks. 450R shocks are a nice upgrade as well. I would start there. Hotcams stage one is nice and sparks XD1 cam both can run stock valvetrain.

Well, actually the timing key is $20 bucks if you want the flywheel puller with it.
And stage 2 can be ran with stock valvetrain also.

flauge
09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
I'd focus mainly on shocks. Get some good fronts and send the back off to revalve it, maybe get a new rear link, and a steering stabilizer. You'll be a lot faster b/c the bike will be a lot more controllable.:cool:

400ex_rider13
09-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Fasst Flex handlebars, if you have $$
Steering stabalizer/damper
Strong Front bumper
Full skidplates
Houser Steering stem
Good tires & Rims
Exhaust, Curtis Spark, HMF, and Yoshi are the top 3.
Handguards
450R front shocks, Revalved & resprung
GT thunder XC rear linkage
..and all the other thing goodies.

09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
EHS lid you can basically make yourself.

K&N outerwear aibox cover .......$18.99
OEM airbox lid ............................$11.25
$7.00 in shipping from Motosport.com and saving $67.76 priceless

shadowwalker
09-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks very much for the replies.

I am assuming he difference between the hotcams stage 1 and 2 is where it puts the power?

I am going to look into the 450r shocks, but some people on ebay want a crazy amount for them.

I may just try and do the lid myself with the outerwear. Doesn't look like it can be too terribly hard.

Hondamaster5505
09-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by shadowwalker
Thanks very much for the replies.

I am assuming he difference between the hotcams stage 1 and 2 is where it puts the power?

I am going to look into the 450r shocks, but some people on ebay want a crazy amount for them.

I may just try and do the lid myself with the outerwear. Doesn't look like it can be too terribly hard.

Stage 1: More mid-top range
Stage 2: Same mid as stage 1, but way more top than stage 1.
Stage 3: More low-mid power. You need Stronger springs/valves, etc..