PDA

View Full Version : Yes a nother teather swith question!!!

woodsrider4ever
09-10-2007, 02:23 PM
ok so i baught a pro armor teather switch and i need to knopw how to wire it and yes i looked at al of the other threads but i still dont knoiw what to do and im ot buying a wiring kit for 22 bucks for a little piece of wire

woodsrider4ever
09-10-2007, 03:19 PM
i herd that the best wire was the white one anyideas?

jshtex
09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
This is the way I did ours several years ago and it has worked fine ever since. Our is a pro design style.

This is from aussiequadrider on bluetrax.

Follow the wires up from the oil filler plug (four wires) to just before the first connector (under the hood) the wires separate into pairs.
Pick the white/red pair and splice the longest wire out of the kill switch into the white wire and the short wire from the k/switch into the red wire.
No need to earth (ground) any wire.

woodsrider4ever
09-10-2007, 07:56 PM
i am loking at the wireing diagram now and it says its a brown and brown/red wire

woodsrider4ever
09-11-2007, 07:37 PM
any help please?

KENNY HEMMINGS
09-12-2007, 09:21 AM
BUY A KIT FROM BALDWIN MOTORSPORTS PLUG AND PLAY
U DONT HAVE TO CUT OR SPLICE ANY WIRES!!

woodsrider4ever
09-12-2007, 08:25 PM
how much?

KENNY HEMMINGS
09-13-2007, 05:23 AM
I THINK LESS THAN 35.00?? BEEN A WHILE SINCE I ORDERED ONE
BUT THEY WORK REAL GOOD U DONT HAVE TO CUT INTO YOUR
ORGINAL HARNESS JUST PLUG IN AND THEN THEY SEND YOU WIRE
ENDS FOR THE TWO WIRES ON THE KILL SWITCH, ONE GOES TO
THE HARNESS U INSTALL THE OTHER IS A GROUND

woodsrider4ever
09-13-2007, 07:10 PM
ya the dealer has one 20 bucks my cost i cant find the connectors so i dont have ot cut into the harness so i think im gana go that route

jshtex
09-13-2007, 07:31 PM
When I was researching this way back when one thing I found was that grounding the power to the CDI was a bad thing. Take it for what you will.

The way I told you above works and has worked for us for right at three years now plus as a bonus it was free. Lots of folks are using the same method.

And there are no brown wires anywhere near the stator?

Good luck with what every you decide to do. Heck sometimes I spend money just to avoid stuff.... :D

RosquistRacer39
09-14-2007, 06:16 PM
If you follow the wires from the stator it will be the red/white but mine was more like pink/white. You just splice into both of them and this way if you have a vortex or dyna ignition box it wont fry them.

daddio
09-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Grounding the ignition on the YFZ's, to kill it is a bad idea. You should use a "normally closed" style teather, like a Pingle or Gunner.
True, there are people who have used the Pro-Design for years without any problems. I would bet, that they hardley ever actually pull the teather to turn it off.
My kid was used to shutting off his Blaster (and before that his LT80) by pulling the teather. When he moved to the YFZ, it was habit to pull the teather, to shut it off, instead of using the key. (the stock kill switch had been removed).
The Stator died. And now that they are doing alot of "teather cord testing" at the line of the races we go to, other "non-believers" are also starting to have electrical issues.
My theory is that Yamaha designed a way to shut off the motor without hurting it, so why not just use their design and replace the stock kill switch with the same kind of teather?

woodsrider4ever
09-15-2007, 04:33 PM
i jus broke down and baught the adapter it was costing me more in gas to find the right parts that i needed

woodsrider4ever
09-15-2007, 04:34 PM
thanks for the help though!

racer113
09-30-2007, 12:09 PM
if you buy the right pro design teather there is no need to splice wires
it is a normally closed teather, which switches the power off to the cdi, I just removed the key switch and put those two wires there, works awesome