PDA

View Full Version : axle bearing

afterhours
09-10-2007, 08:52 AM
had a bearing go out on the swingarm. i didn't know it until it was in pretty bad shape. will i be able to replace just the bearing or will i need a new carrier. the piece that went bad is on the sprocket side of the swingarm. this just happened last night so i haven't had a chance to tear it apart and look at it. i was just wanting to know what i had ahead of me for a replacement.

honda400exr
09-10-2007, 09:07 AM
you should be able to just put a new bearing in the carrier. the only reason you wouldnt be able to is if the carrier got messed up where the bearing goes but most likely you should be fine because it would have to get pretty bad before that happens...best bet is to take it out and look at the carrier where the bearing goes and see if there's anything torn up or ovaled...

If you're into hard riding or did motor mods so that you're cranking out more power it would be a good idea to replace it with a dual row carrier..if the prices are too high for one then you can take you're carrier to a machine shop and have them bore the sporcket side of the carrier out enough to put two bearings in that side. that's what I did and it seems to be holding up a lot better. I also drilled some holes down through the carrier and put a grease fitting in the housing on the swingarm so you can pump fresh grease into the carrier after riding in water and mud. just an idea that would help your rear hold together longer.

hope that helped

afterhours
09-10-2007, 09:17 AM
thanks alot! much appreciated! that is what i needed to hear... the carried looked like it might be beat up pretty bad. i'm going to take it all apart when i get home today. i'll probably just order a new carrier if that is the case.

thanks again.

4wydnr
09-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Why wouldn't you have both sides machined? Just asking because I have mine tore apart and a friend that has a machine shop.

honda400exr
09-16-2007, 07:50 AM
you can have both sides done if you want..I only did the sprocket side because that's the side that gets the most wear and tear because it has the engine's torque ripping on it more than the brake side. It's a little cheaper than buying a dual row carrier and you can have it apart and back together in a couple hours. I also took the seals out of the inner bearing and the seals out of the inside of the outer bearings so that when I pump the grease in then it'll get fresh grease into the bearings. As long as you pump grease in after riding hard or in water then it'll help to prolong the life of the bearings.

the Z Man
09-16-2007, 07:53 AM
I have a LoneStar dual row carrier for 80 shipped, it could use new bearings.