PDA

View Full Version : Can i use an SDS masonary drill bit in my 1/2 3jaw standard drill chuck?

cbr929rr
09-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Can i use an SDS masonary drill bit in my 1/2 3jaw standard drill chuck? I only need to drill four 1'' holes in 3 inches deep in my cement floor and I was hoping not to rent a drill for such a small project, Harbor freight has the bit set for $15 including a 1'' bit. I understand they are not quality bits but that is probably the only time I will use them and I don't know of anyone to borrow from.
thanks,

bwamos
09-10-2007, 06:14 AM
For a 1" Hole, I'd really reccomend looking into investing in a hammer drill. Especially if that concrete is more than 10-15yrs old. It gets harder and harder as time passes.

Outlaw 50
09-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Four 1" holes will destroy that bit especially with a drill that does not hammer. The heat built up in the bit will allow the tips to come off.

You are going to want to drill a pilot hole first. At least 1/4" in diameter first.

For what you are doing you could use a Styrofoam cup with the bottom cut out to keep the bit cool. Place the cup upside down around the hole, pour some water in it, have a friend hold it down tight to the floor and keep the bit wet.

Buy a Bosch or other good brand of bit and then go to a tool rental place and rent a hammer drill.

Aceman
09-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I'd go to your local rental store and see what they have. You'd be wasting time trying to use a regular drill. The small rental fee is more than worth the cost in time saved. They usually have bits for sale as well if they won't rent you one. When I punch 1" holes I don't pilot hole it either unless I need to drill from both sides to keep the concrete from blowing out on an exposed wall.